• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brand new baby Beardie having possible issues

Stella Weinstock

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my boyfriend and I purchased a bearded dragon from Petco about four days ago. He’s maybe 2-3 months old. We got him the 40 gal ReptiHabitat Bearded Dragon Kit by Zoo Med and plenty of decor. It comes with a dual lamp fixture, with one side having a 10.0 compact fluorescent uvb, and the other having a 100w basking light. We also got him the Exo Terra reptile sand mat and a desert-y background.
Obviously bringing him home from Petco stressed him out, and he barely moved the first day. When we feed him crickets, he’ll only be interested for a few minutes, sometimes not at all. The most he has eaten in one day was like 15-20. Yesterday he ate maybe 5, all hand fed. This could also be because he started to shed, and is still shedding. Another issue we are having is getting him to eat greens or drink water. I heard they can’t see the water unless it is actively dripping, so I may need to get a dripper. He will also not touch his greens at all. Mustard, collard, carrots, and cucumber.
Another concern we are having is his temperatures and humidity. Basking spot gets to 105° or so, and the other side of the cage is around 75°. The humidity is around 40% in the day and goes as high as 65% at night. I don’t want him to get respiratory issues. What is the best way to get the humidity down?
He has stress spots on his belly that have not gone away yet.
Please give me any tips you have. I feel like I’m doing so much research trying to give him the best life, and feel like he hates it. I know it takes them a few days/weeks to adjust, but I wanna make sure I’m doing everything right.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
your gonna need a ceramic heat emitter you can leave on 24/7 this provides night time heat with out light and will help with humidity as well, that is what works for me. I live in the Pacific northwest of Oregon and so lots of humidity here.
remember your beardie is still just a baby so relocation stress takes a while to adjust from. it messes with there appetite just like shedding does, dont worry to much unless he goes longer then a week or two without eating just make sure to offer food daily even if he doesn't eat it. a baby dragon won't eat much greens, veggies or fruit till they get a bit older, most of their nutrients come from insects about 80 % . I recommend using soft bodied worms like wax worms, hornworms, butter worms, silk worms ,black soldier fly larvae and dubias roaches. stay away from mealworms (they are hard to digest and causes impaction).
I got my Stryker to drink water from a dish but I have to wiggle my fingers in it before she will drink from it, or I just give her a warm shower and she drinks the water from the bottom and side of the tub. lol silly dragon, but I love her and spoil her daily.
that's my best advice if you have any questions please ask.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Your temps sound fine, and you only need night heat if your house goes below 65F at night. You do need a good tube (not coil) UVB light if you don't already have one. Half of what comes in the kits is wrong for beardies. You probably don't want a dripper if you already have humidity concerns, but you can try dripping water on your beardie's snout, or misting him, or baths. Don't let the "stress marks" worry you - that's a misleading name for a baby's natural chin and tummy pattern. They do experience relocation stress, but they adjust. Mamaof2 is right about mealworms - they're not great. If you can get the other bugs she mentioned, try a variety, but go easy on waxworms and butterworms. BSFL are good staples, dubia (or discoid if you live where dubia are illegal) roaches are excellent as a staple as well. Congrats on the baby!