• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Born with parasites?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone....I am very frustrated right now because I had a fecal done on my bearded dragon and this is the third time he has got parasites. He isn't eating much and I have been told all bearded dragons have parasites but I do not understand why my beardie keeps getting them because I have not changed anything in the tank and there is nothing I can see that would stress him out. The vet told me they can get parasites that affect them even as their growing older..I really hope this parasite thing stops soon because the vet bills are getting really expensive and I just don't know what I can do to help the little guy. Does anyone have any idea why Baby could be having such a hard time lately?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, what is he testing positive for? It is possible your feeder source is to blame. Maybe try ordering from a new source and be sure to wash all vegetables or fruits really well before feeding.

If you dont mind answering these questions. It is possible your vet is not combating the parasite at hand efficiently. Parasites have life stages and some drugs only combat a parasite in a different cycle of its life. For instance coccidia drugs dont kill the eggs but to correctly treat an animal with coccidia it takes a bunch of work. 1. keeping the tank clean and cleaning with a 40%peroxide solution. 2. 3 day treatment, wait 7 days for the eggs to hatch and treat another 3 days and then again in another 3 treatments 7 days later.

1. I would like to know what type of parasite he is testing positive for.
2. What drug was prescribed to treat parasite.
3. Regimen/course of treatment the doctor put the animal on.
4. Weight of animal / dosage strength / product strength

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Oh, I did not know you had to continue to give the medication in different stages like that. My vet never told me that. This is going to sound really stupid but I don't even know what kind of parasites Baby tested for, but the vet put him on Flaygl which has helped him in the past and the dose is 0.1 in a small syringe and my baby is 6 months old and is rather small for his age

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
All parasite treatments consist of a treatment in stages to successfully take care of them. Never a one shot type deal ;)

If you can give me the information above. We can try to get your kid back on track.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My baby was on Albon when she had coccidia and panacur for pinworms. I can't remember what the dosage of the Albon was and it worked for Allie. But the one thing is: You need to keep them hydrated and give them soy yogurt or probiotics to build up their good gut flora. Also, Albon's harsh on their stomachs. (That's why I used baby food and soy yogurt. (No appetite so I used what I thought would be good for Allie.)

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Yea I am using probiotics for Baby as well...He seems to be doing much better, he ate 12 crickets this morning which is a major difference from just only 3 yesterday! He still won't eat in the afternoon, but at least he is eating in the morning again! YAY!!! I feel so bad for the little guy, he has been through so much in his young life. Gillie, all I know about Baby's diagnosis is that he had some type of parasites and they prescribed him Flagyl which works every single time he goes on it. I also had to bring him to the vet because he was very impacted but that was my mistake-I was feeding him larger crickets(they weren't bigger than the space between his eyes) but they were still bigger than what he was used too and he just couldn't digest them. I always worry when he doesn't poop on a regular basis and I know they don't always go on a regular basis, but usually when Baby is constipated I can get him to poop by myself by giving him warm water soaks and massaging his belly, but this time nothing was working at all. That could have been part of the problem too on why he wasn't eating. His appetite is still smaller than usual, I am wondering why he doesn't like to eat in the afternoon anymore. He also hasn't shed in awhile and he should be in the growing stage, and all my temperatures and lights are correct, and I dust his crickets with calcium and use a vitamin powder as well and use a vitamin D3 a couple times a week so maybe he is just a slow grower. Or he's just going to be a smaller dragon. Anyways, I am doing the best I can to take care of him and it can be very frustrating sometimes but I love the little guy to death and look forward to coming home from work everyday to see him and snuggle with him at night!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine didn't want to eat her greens today so I gave her a thawed out lima bean. Yum! She ate her greens...All of it...:)