• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blood after eating a superworm?! Please help!

Jill and chili

Bearded Dragon Egg
i was feeding dragon some super worms this morning, I feed them one at a time with tweezers. He ate a few and I went to grab a new one and looked back and there was Blood on the floor of his tank and on his lips.

I dropped the worm I was holding to go grab a towel and he didn’t chase after it. I rinsed his mouth but couldn’t get him to open up his mouth. I put him in his basking spot at he was there when I left for work.

Any ideas what happened? Did a superworm sting him? What do I need to do next?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It could have bit him but it could also have just been from the super worm. What did the vet say?

Jill and chili

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m glad I brought him in, he broke a tooth and had to have it pulled. Now we’re just watching for redness, swelling, asymmetrical face.

Attachments

• 13A37067-A9EF-48CC-8E94-63E7B01FF60C.jpeg
    13A37067-A9EF-48CC-8E94-63E7B01FF60C.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 64

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
OMG!!!! I've never heard of that. I hope the tooth fairy was kind to him!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
ok, now I am confused a bit. I didnt know you could 'pull' a dragon tooth , they are supposed to be acrodontal like most lizards, meaning they are fused to the jawbone rather than in sockets. But there you have a dragon tooth!, does the literature need changing or am I misunderstanding something?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
ok, now I am confused a bit. I didnt know you could 'pull' a dragon tooth , they are supposed to be acrodontal like most lizards, meaning they are fused to the jawbone rather than in sockets. But there you have a dragon tooth!, does the literature need changing or am I misunderstanding something?

Now I heard it was common for bearded dragons to lose teeth and regrow teeth.... sounds like we need to do some research!

Jill and chili

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don’t think you’re mistaken, I was probably not very clear. Having a tooth “pulled” is not really the right term, even though the vet did pull it out of his mouth. If you look very very closely there is a bit of jawbone attached to the tooth, so that is the part that actually broke, it was still partly attached to his mouth.

That’s if I understood the vet correctly which, who knows. It was a traumatic day

Jill and chili

Bearded Dragon Egg
Now I heard it was common for bearded dragons to lose teeth and regrow teeth.... sounds like we need to do some research!
I asked the vet if this was common, and she said “not especially but I’m not really worried about it. There’s still a chance it could grow back.” But when she came back from pulling it she showed me the jawbone attached and didn’t think the chances of it growing back were very high.

I’ve read (but didn’t think to ask or missed when she explained) that they have sortof front teeth that they shed on occasion, and also the fused, permanent teeth in back. I have no link for this, I was in a bearded dragon health rabbit hole.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow!! I did not know that they could grow back! Very interesting.. Hope your little one heals up quick.

Jill and chili

Bearded Dragon Egg
Maybe he was just overzealous and bit the tweezers?

Glad the tooth fairy came!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The vet thought that at first too, but we use soft bamboo tweezers that are supposed to prevent mouth injury. Her best guess is that he got excited exploring all the new things in his new tank (we just moved him the day before) and he bit onto a rock. Either way, now when he gets fed I drop wormies from WAY high up. Just in case ;)

Latest posts