• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blackbearding and Head Bobbing after leaving for one week?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I just got back from a week long vacation and I came back to see my two bearded dragons.

One is in my living room and the other is in another spot where they cant really see each other but still in the same room.

I got home and picked him up and gave him kisses like always and he was fine, but he has just started going completely black and now everytime I walk past his enclosure he bobs his head and black-beards. Is it me? Can they sense each other with out actually seeing each other? I never take them by each other's enclosures so I am confused. Zeus has never ever shown a single sign of aggression towards me. Now, I try going into his enclosure to clean and he head bobs. He does let me pet him still but he seems so angry.

Before anyone comments anything about husbandry, it is all completely correct, so please don't ask anything husbandry related as I know what I am doing in that area. I just don't know what to do about him being angry and aggitated.

And yes one is a boy and the other is a girl.

Beardie Lover

Juvenile Dragon
Here are some possibilities

• Relocation – have you just got your bearded dragon?
  • Stress
  • Health issues
  • Breeding season (prob cause one is boy and one is girl :) )
  • New tank or the environment
  • Competition
  • You scared it
  • Small tank
  • Shedding
  • Hormonal processes or changes

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
I just got back from a week long vacation and I came back to see my two bearded dragons.

One is in my living room and the other is in another spot where they cant really see each other but still in the same room.

I got home and picked him up and gave him kisses like always and he was fine, but he has just started going completely black and now everytime I walk past his enclosure he bobs his head and black-beards. Is it me? Can they sense each other with out actually seeing each other? I never take them by each other's enclosures so I am confused. Zeus has never ever shown a single sign of aggression towards me. Now, I try going into his enclosure to clean and he head bobs. He does let me pet him still but he seems so angry.

Before anyone comments anything about husbandry, it is all completely correct, so please don't ask anything husbandry related as I know what I am doing in that area. I just don't know what to do about him being angry and aggitated.

He is mad you left him?
Did you have someone checking and feeding them?
He might Just be letting you know, he went a week off schedule and he ain't happy lol
Give him extra hand feeding and attention, he will forgive you :)

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
He is mad you left him?
He might Just be letting you know, he went a week off schedule and he ain't happy lol
Also, maybe a shed coming on?
Rusty gets crabby at start of shed, gives me the buisness like it's my fault he is uncomfortable lol,

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Hes showing signs of dominance it is a mating thing --- he will be fine as long as he does not see the female - breeding season is in the spring - I have two males in the same room they sit side by side so they cant see each other as they are in Zen tanks - they face me and have only seen each other ONCE - but for the most part they do not know each other exists

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
could he possibly smell ur female? How old is he?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
could he possibly smell ur female? How old is he?
That’s what I’m thinking. He had one little glimpse of her on accident and he started going crazy so I turned her cage the other way so he can’t see her (they are in zen habitats) and he still going crazy even today.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
He is mad you left him?
I had an experienced keeper watch him while I was away

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Here are some possibilities

• Relocation – have you just got your bearded dragon?
  • Stress
  • Health issues
  • Breeding season (prob cause one is boy and one is girl :) )
  • New tank or the environment
  • Competition
  • You scared it
  • Small tank
  • Shedding
  • Hormonal processes or changes
I've had him almost a year now and he has been in the same spot, never any issues until I got back.

I am almost positive he is being like this because he can sense the other female dragon in the room, even though he cannot see her. I think he may of got a glimpse of her on accident before I rotated the cage around facing the opposite direction. I am going to try moving her to another room and seeing if he acts up.

Beardie Lover

Juvenile Dragon
I've had him almost a year now and he has been in the same spot, never any issues until I got back.

I am almost positive he is being like this because he can sense the other female dragon in the room, even though he cannot see her. I think he may of got a glimpse of her on accident before I rotated the cage around facing the opposite direction. I am going to try moving her to another room and seeing if he acts up.
Good idea! I have heard that males can smell the females. Even if they can’t see them.

Latest posts