• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blackbeard

clemsonguy1125

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey,
I just ordered my new dragon, according to the breeder, he typically has a blackbeard since he is around females, from what Ive read this is normal. Should I expect it to go away? Correct me if Im wrong about any of this. Im trying to prepare for his arrival perfectly. Also, he is 16 inches, should I provide him with a hide, Ive got a stump for him to bask on.
Thanks

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, congrats on the new addition.

As for the blackbearding, well it should stop if you dont have any other beardies around, but they do blackbeard for various other reasons also.
To get attention, cos theyre angry or upset, hurt, in pain, not feeling well . . . . etc
If he continues to blackbeard when he arrives and after relo stress has dissipated, and youre sure all husbandry issues are spot on, a check up at a vet may be good.

But Im sure once hes settled, and calmed down away from female presence, it wont be an issue......just an occasional "Hey see i can still do it" thing

I dont have a hide for mine, never had. Its not a nesessity. Some ppl say theres hides all the time if they have one and then they rremove it, some say theres only use it for sleeping and during brumation.
Its a matter of personal choice, if you want to give him one, do so. If it affects his basking routine (As in he hides all day) remove it

Please post pics of the new guy once he gets there, and good luck

clemsonguy1125

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks, he did mention it sometimes gets blacker when picked up, which is also normal I assume. The breeder seems great so Im confident he will send me a healthy dragon.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, I have males who get the Black Beard whenever they see the girls or are trying to show off etc, but it does go away when they dont see the females. The more he gets handled the less he will blackbeard with that too. I have never had a hide for any of our Dragons and they do just fine with out it, but as P says it's personal preference, but if he starts to hid in it constantly you will have to remove it.

Latest posts