• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black bugs in my bearded dragons enclosure!

Derrick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just recently I’ve noticed these black beetle like bugs crawling underneath and around the water dish in my bearded dragons enclosure. The substrate that I am using is sand made from crushed walnuts and I’m not sure what these bugs are. If someone could please identify them for me that would be great! I don’t want these bugs to harm my bearded dragon

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Do you feed your dragon dubias? if so, they could just be cleaners that got mixed in with your order.If that is the case they are harmless, if not they are an outside contamination. Honestly, I would get rid of the loose substrate, its a breeding ground for bacteria and offers just way too many places for critters to hide. Get yourself some rough tiles or non adhesive shelf liner, so much easier to keep clean and nowhere for bugs to hide.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like superworm beetles or a cleaner bug that came with your feeder bugs and are pretty harmless...I agree with the removal of the substrate crushed walnut may look nice and all along with the bacteria issues it is actually a really rough piece and in quantities ingested may not be easily pooped out. Just alot of reasons loose substrate isn't the best to use..

Derrick

Bearded Dragon Egg
The only feeder in sacks that I use are brown crickets, other than that I feed him kale every day. He’s had sand has a substrate ever since he was born and he’s 2 1/2 years old now, do you think it would be too hard for him to go to a different substrate such as tile? If not tile, what other substrates do you recommend?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
well it sounds like they must have come in from outside or from your substrate then. They shouldnt be harmful, but outside bugs can harbor parasites so remove them and make sure he doesnt eat them. Its never too late to make positive changes, it may take him a little while to get used to tiles but he will do. The tiles should help keep his nails filed down too. Other substrates that work are non adhesive shelf liner and repticarpet, but i prefer tile tbh.

Derrick

Bearded Dragon Egg
My question about using tile, is that isn’t it usually a slick surface so won’t it be to hard for the my bearded dragon to grip it, and be able to walk around? Also wouldn’t tile absord to much heat and get to hot? What kind of tile do you recommend? I am currently using a 40 gallon breeder tank. As for the kale, are you saying that I should be feeding him more mustard/turnip greens everyday, with less kale mixed in? Thank you so much for answering my questions

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
yeah, glazed tiles are no good they are too slippy. If they are glazed turn them over to the rough side, or better, use terracotta or slate tiles. Just be careful when removing them for cleaning that you dont drop one or it could crack your tank. Nobody has ever mentioned tiles getting too hot so I am guessing its not a problem, you can just adjust your heat lamp anyway.
Yes, a staple green with just a bit of kale mixed in for variation along with other stuff, squash is great if your beardie will eat it, dandelion leaves and flowers are good too.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can get different tile surfaces you just gotta feel them (my hubby is a stone and tile guy so I see a LOT of tile) at first they will kinda splay out a little but they get the hang of it and do just fine. What I do is a shelf liner under the tile for a bit more protection but yes be careful not to drop them when cleaning.. In my 2 I have nice wood bark planks and bricks or rock formations for them to climb on... I trim their nails when they need to be. I've not noticed any big temp changes and actually it may help keep temps stable..
Yes take a look at that link for food items as it's the most accurate and extensive one we've found and we all use.. my staple green is collards then added in are the others like turnip, dandelion, mustard etc.. veggies are butternut squash, yellow squash, zuc with some fruit (don't overdo sugary ones) mine LOVE blackberries

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My first thought was some sort of mite. Of all the substrates anything with crushed walnut is the worst because it's sharp and if ingested can cut your beardies intestines.

I use non glazed ceramic tile that I got from the hardware store. They were like 30cents a tile or something like that.

Derrick

Bearded Dragon Egg
When you guys use tile, do you grout all the tiles together at the bottom of the tank or do you keep the tiles separated?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Keep the tiles separate, makes it easy to spot clean when you can just take out the dirty one.

Derek Madge

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just recently I’ve noticed these black beetle like bugs crawling underneath and around the water dish in my bearded dragons enclosure. The substrate that I am using is sand made from crushed walnuts and I’m not sure what these bugs are. If someone could please identify them for me that would be great! I don’t want these bugs to harm my bearded dragon
Do they look like these (the photo is quite large) http://mealwormcare.org/life-cycle/

on the tile substrate question, if you have a cool spot on the non-heated side, I doubt the cool side would get too hot unless the hot said e way too hot! However, if you can put in some perch, or rock the your dragon can get on top of, to cool down, that may be helpful.

Andy Usher

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If you feed mealworms, some will have escaped and burrowed under your substrate, they eventually turn into beetles, they’re harmless and my beardy munches on them if they appear.