• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black bearding

Missi & Jim

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had posted in the health section about some concerns with Jim but I will ask about his black bearding behaviors here as well .

For the last 3 days Jim has been acting out of character .
He is constantly black bearding , which I believe is at his reflection . Both sides and the back of his enclosure are covered , just the front is clear .
He is running back and forth along his tank staring at his reflection trying to climb the glass.
In desperation I put some paper over the front of his tank and he calmed down and returned to normal color . Then I see climb up to his basking spot and stretch to look over the paper to see himself again and he starts black bearding all over .
I raised the height of the paper and he goes back to normal color . When he gets his bath or taken out to play he returns to normal .

Why would he all of a sudden not like his reflection ? His enclosure has not changed , and I have checked to be sure his temps are fine with a temp gun.

He is almost 9 months old now , could it just be his age ?
Is just letting him black beard all the time safe and healthy for him ?

Extra info-
40 g breeder
reptisun uvb tube , just replaced this weekend
daily baths
temps 89 on hot side , 78 cool side , basking 103-110 checked with a temp gun .

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's showing his dominance to the other dragon. LOL. It's normal behavior for them to glass dance. Black bearding is another typical sign of saying, "Hey! I'm the Alpha and Omega! Don't challenge me, Bub!". It's just him being the dominate dragon.

Latest posts