• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bit his own nails off!

Lucas791

Hatchling Dragon
My bearded dragon bit two of his own nails off! Why would he do this? I'm very nervous about it, seems very strange! Here is his cage for whatever if needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Did you actually see him bite them off? I've never seen them get their feet near their face. It's quite possible he snagged them on something and it pulled them out. If he's bleeding you'll want to try to keep it clean. a soak in a bowl of water with a few drops of Betadine should help. The Betadine should just make the water look like a weak tea.

Lucas791

Hatchling Dragon
I actually walked in and saw his hand in his mouth. I haven't seen him do it anymore, he holds his hand up like he made a mistake because it hurts, how long will he be in pain?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's crazy and sad :( Is he stressed about something? He might be in pain for a little while. Luci stopped running his tank for about 3 weeks when he injured his toe nail. Then he slowed down again when the nail started to grow back. Like I said earlier, do a Betadine soak and maybe some triple antibiotic ointment without menthol. Do the ointment at night so that it will stay on his toes while he sleeps.

The nails grow back, they just don't look like the rest of the nails. They are a little thicker and maybe a different color. Luci's nails are dark but the new one is growing in and it's thick and clear.

Lucas791

Hatchling Dragon
I'll just have to monitor his behavior and health then. He seems to have went back to normal since the incident

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is he the same one that sits in his hide all day?

Lucas791

Hatchling Dragon
I think that was just a phase, he is a great lizard now and is going through a growth spurt right now I believe.

Latest posts