• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bioactive

Dstrong

Bearded Dragon Egg
We have a 4yr old dragon and I've been wondering about switching his 50 gallon tank to Bioactive. I've seen the bio dudes videos and it sparked our interests. I have a big garden we take him out in during the summer and he just seems to be extra happy around the plants and such. (I always make sure he is around something that's safe for him to eat and never use pesticides) Can you tell me the pros and cons of these bioactive tanks for a beardie. I want to make sure it's a safe move before spending a bunch of money.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have a 4yr old dragon and I've been wondering about switching his 50 gallon tank to Bioactive. I've seen the bio dudes videos and it sparked our interests. I have a big garden we take him out in during the summer and he just seems to be extra happy around the plants and such. (I always make sure he is around something that's safe for him to eat and never use pesticides) Can you tell me the pros and cons of these bioactive tanks for a beardie. I want to make sure it's a safe move before spending a bunch of money.
I don't know anything about them - hooman might but I don't think many on here have bio tanks or experience

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Bioactive tanks are pretty fun to maintain once you can get them set up. I don't have a bioactive bearded dragon enclosure, but I have had a bioactive setup for another reptile species.

The cons:

-Expensive to set up
-Can take a while to get everything set up and established
-You'll need to do quite a bit of research on what plants/animals are compatible with certain setups and substrates
-It can be difficult to keep the soil dry

The pros:

-Once it's established, you'll rarely need to clean the enclosure
-Isopods are adorable, and cleanup crews are interesting and easy to maintain.
-Bioactive setups look amazing
-Provides reptiles with a very enriching and natural environment
-If your cleanup crew includes bugs that beardies might try to eat, they'll get plenty of exercise and enrichment from foraging for them.

Dstrong

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bioactive tanks are pretty fun to maintain once you can get them set up. I don't have a bioactive bearded dragon enclosure, but I have had a bioactive setup for another reptile species.

The cons:

-Expensive to set up
-Can take a while to get everything set up and established
-You'll need to do quite a bit of research on what plants/animals are compatible with certain setups and substrates
-It can be difficult to keep the soil dry

The pros:

-Once it's established, you'll rarely need to clean the enclosure
-Isopods are adorable, and cleanup crews are interesting and easy to maintain.
-Bioactive setups look amazing
-Provides reptiles with a very enriching and natural environment
-If your cleanup crew includes bugs that beardies might try to eat, they'll get plenty of exercise and enrichment from foraging for them.
Is there a reason you don't have one for your bearded dragon? The biodude seems to have set ups designed for them. Is there something specific to look for in the substrate that is better for a dragon than not? One thing I've not learned is how dry should it be for a dragon. We live in a dry area so no moisture in the air for the most part.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I don't have a beardie bioactive setup because I don't have a permanent tank completed yet. I don't want to spend $300+ on a bioactive setup only to have to move or replace it in a few months when I get the upgraded tank done. I'll probably get one set up when the tank is complete, though.

The Bio Dude's kits are good quality, but pricey. They're a good starting point, and you can buy some extra supplies from him to add isopods/springtails and plants. For a substrate, look for something that is compatible with the plants and cleanup crew you're choosing. As long as it isn't super dusty or holds humidity it should be fine. Beardies should ideally have the humidity at around 20-40%. The Terra Sahara substrate mix in the kits has everything you need to get a basic soil mixture, and it doesn't make the enclosure too humid.