• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bioactive Substrate Question

SnowflakeE

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, I am very interested in studying the behavior of Pogona vitticeps (beardie) so I did a fair amount of research and the substrate that seemed that would encourage the most natural behavior was a bioactive substrate. So I followed many instructions putting in layer of stones, then screen then sand, topsoil, coconut coir then planted a soft cactus and a warm weather fern. I also found a nice tall and flat stone that fits perfectly as a basking rock. I still need to place leaf litter in but am concerned about impaction. Especially because I was hoping to purchase a very young lizard. I hear some people say if the lizard is healthy impaction almost never happens, some actually say that ingestion of sand and other things people blame impaction on are good for the lizards digestive health and that ingestion of said items only causes problems when the lizard doesn't get enough moisture, uvb, and a number of other causes. On the other hand many say that especially for babies impaction is very common and that paper towel or reptile-carpet are the only safe substrates for babies because of their tendency to "swallow the environment" which makes me nervous when I look at my set-up, as rocky and sandy as it is. But don't these animals deal with this environment in nature, doesn't living in sandy dirt among insects most closely reflect the true nature of this creature? I am new to herp care and have never kept any of these cold blooded animals before and information and tips are greatly appreciated, sorry for length. Thanks.

SnowflakeE

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also if I feed outside the main are say in a small open top box with paper towels could I reduce my risk of impaction?

SnowflakeE

Bearded Dragon Egg
P.s not getting a lizard for at least 11/2 months to give soil time to establish good bacteria, and still need materials

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome! good for you for prepping ! i dont know much about the bio active substrate - we have had a member (jarich - search his posts) who posted about it, and i thought it looked great, but havent done anything about it. (Ha!) Little ones - like babies everywhere - want to "taste and touch" with their tongues. that's where the problem arises. my 3 year old male wants to do the same thing. yes - they are exposed to sand etc in nature, but we are not really providing them with a nature environment. in nature they have to search for and fight for food - and try to not BE food for someone else. we provide food and protection. probably a longer lifespan in captivity. feeding in a separate environment is a superb idea. you are soooooooo gonna love these guys !!!

SnowflakeE

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the response and I know!! But still hope this environment will not pose a threat to any dragon's digestive system and yes I will feed in a separate container but if I end up adding isopods and night-crawlers she (future dragon) might try to eat those. Thanks, Andrew.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This all sounds very interesting I don't have any experience to offer on this substrate..So I'm sorry but will keep watching to see for updates..
I try very hard to offer the most natural "environment" as I can in any of my critter's homes...But with how they (dragon's) taste everything in order to get to know their environment I didn't want to jeopardize Izzy's health. I do feed her in her enclosure but her live food (Dubias, supers the occ butterworm, waxworm) are contained in a clear glass bowl along with some greens/fruit/veggies for them to munch on as well as for Izzy to eat. She also has a bowl of the rest of her salad.. My substrate is a combo of contact paper/towel/repticarpet. Easy to clean up if she goes in there.. (typically she prefers to poo during her bath time.
Good luck to you!

SnowflakeE

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks again, I was very intrigued by a bioactive substrate because the idea that my pet's poop can support a diverse and thriving micro-fauna fascinates me haha. (I'm currently getting a BA in molecular biology so I'm into that stuff)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome to the group! Yes, @jarich is very knowledgable about bioactive substrate. Hopefully tagging him in this post will alert him to respond :)

SnowflakeE

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is another question that arose recently for me when I was told this by a bearded dragon caregiver who said that they need a "moonlight" or a light to 'tell' them its night (her words).

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When your giving your Dragon their human given UVB lights, their basking light you have them on a timer to be on 12-14 hours then off that is their night time.. when they brumate you decrease the time to 8-10 hours to mimic winter times.. They do not need any light at night as their 3rd eye will pick up any light and it disrupts their sleep...If you need heat then you add a CHE for heat with no light to keep the temp from dropping under 65F

Latest posts