• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Big Mistake? U tell me.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
So as some of you may know, I have to drive 40 or so miles to get appropriate sized crickets and the last time I made the trip the store only had adults(go figure)! Soo got some super worms an Pablo loves them. So much that when I did get crickets he wouldn't eat them. So I didn't feed him any feeders at all the day he refused and the next day put crix in with him again and he refused again so I threw some supers in and he are them. What should I do?!? I know they are ok for him to eat but as a staple? Aren't they to high in fat content for that? Idk but I plan on starting a dubia colony when my income taxes come in so will a couple months of super worms be ok?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Superworms are really best left as treats and really not a good choice for a staple live feeder. Pablo is just being stubborn by refusing the crickets because the Supers are something he really likes. This is a very common occurance that many folks have to deal with their dragons and my suggestion would be to wait another day and offer the crickets again...if he still refuses then it's his choice and I would offer crickets again the next day and the next until he sees that his choice is crickets and decides to go for them which he will when he gets hungry:)

It's really the same kind of thing as a lot of parents deal with their small children. My daughter went through about 2 years where she would periodically not eat anything but chicken nuggets and then it got to the point where it was ONLY Wendy's chicken nuggets...lol...enough was enough! She held out for a bit but then she started eating what was offered instead of demanding what she wanted:)

Be careful about letting Pablo trick you into just letting him eat the "candy"...and just remember that unless a creature is severely ill then it is highly unlikely that they will starve themselves to death. If you hold your ground then his tummy will override his stubbornness and he will be munching crickets happily soon!

Enjoy!!

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the advice! You were right. I stuck it out and he didn't eat yesterday. He didn't eat the first time I tried today but the second time I guess his little belly finally got the best of him because he finally ate 4 crix. Not as much as usual but better than none that's for sure. Bd's sure can be stubborn...but that's why we love em right. Full of personality that's for sure. He actually ate a lot of veggies today too way more than usual so that's good too.

Latest posts