• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tobythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've looked around on different sites but can't find out what's best. Some say sand is fine others say it causes imp action. Others say repticarpets or tiles. This got me so confused! Every where I looked some different view popped up. Is this just a matter of opinion or is there actually a better bedding? I would like something easy to remove and clean as well as something that my beardie can be comfortable on. Any advice? Thanks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've looked around on different sites but can't find out what's best. Some say sand is fine others say it causes imp action. Others say repticarpets or tiles. This got me so confused! Every where I looked some different view popped up. Is this just a matter of opinion or is there actually a better bedding? I would like something easy to remove and clean as well as something that my beardie can be comfortable on. Any advice? Thanks.
The easiest substrate would be tile, non stick shelf liner..You don't want loose substrate for the impaction issue/smell/possible eye and nose irritation.. Easy clean up just spray and wipe..

JeepGirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm actually curious about this too. My nephew's fiance uses tiles for her beardy enclosure, but maybe I'm just humanizing them too much by wondering if that is comfortable enough? I use the carpet substrate and my beardy is happy on that, but cleaning them is an annoyance for sure and I was told not to use any soaps on them and just HOT water...but how could that sanitise the carpet properly. And over time the carpet gets all deformed and doesn't fit the bottom so great.
Do the tiles warm up properly/enough from the bottom tank heat pad? I wondered about that too.

Our beardy is just over a year old.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm actually curious about this too. My nephew's fiance uses tiles for her beardy enclosure, but maybe I'm just humanizing them too much by wondering if that is comfortable enough? I use the carpet substrate and my beardy is happy on that, but cleaning them is an annoyance for sure and I was told not to use any soaps on them and just HOT water...but how could that sanitise the carpet properly. And over time the carpet gets all deformed and doesn't fit the bottom so great.
Do the tiles warm up properly/enough from the bottom tank heat pad? I wondered about that too.

You should not be using a heat pad on the bottom of the tank. Bearded dragons don't have a lot of nerve endings on their belly so they don't sense heat from below and will easily get burned because they won't know to move if something is too hot. They are trained to search for heat from above, the third eye on top of their head helps them do that.

Tobythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg

Thanks if you find anything more on this please let me know. I've heard heating pads can burn their stomachs so maybe stick to a heat lamp?