• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behaviour and eating

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all (again!!)

Right..... Why do they lay flat, dig in the sand (am changing to paper towels at the weekend) and then close their eyes?? Seems a stupid question but is this him going to 'bed'???! Also, how often should they poop?? Buddy hasn't pooped today. Gave him a bath tho which he seemed to enjoy but most of the time he is in his viv he just seems to be unhappy - hence asking why they lay flat after digging. Also he hasn't eaten very much in the last 2 days - no crickets/locusts just a few mealworms (that I now know arn't good).

Also, after placing the thermometers in his viv one end is approx 90 degrees and the basking end went off the scale so I think the tank is too hot. Not sure how I can change the temps either end when the tank is only 3 ft (I will be getting another one in time).

So, Basically 1. behavour and what they mean. 2. Poop, 3. Feeding (or lack of!) and 4. Temperature! He does close his eyes when we stroke him tho. Sorry, should add that he was born in November so approx 7 months old but showing no interest in crickets or anything really.

Please help.

Thank you

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I asked this in your other post but will try to get it all in one place. How are you taking the temps? if it is too high you can try a lower watt bulb...the ones you have around the house work just fine, no need for the expensive reptile bulbs.

Poop-one of mine poops once a day at the same time. The other one poops everyday to every other day.

Feeding- This could be due to relocation stress and should pass in a week. may be less may be more.

Temperature- 90 is a little high for the cool side. You want it to be about 80. The warm side should be about 105-110. This temps should be taken with a probe or temp gun. Is he gaping a lot? if so I would try a lower watt bulb.

In this post as well as your others I did not see any mention of what type of UVB your are using. If you have the compact UVB this could be the reason for the eyes closing.

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi. Thanks for bearing with me and sorry to have repeated myself.

Bulb is a 60watt and not sure about a compact light???? It fits the viv on the top of the back wall from one end to the other. It was bought from the shop that deals only with reptiles etc that has been around for years. The thermometers are the stick on ones from the reptile shop - one at each end. I have bought a digital one as well that will go in tomorrow. I have taken to turning off the basking light at points during the day as it seems to get too hot although he isnt gaping (my sons room seems to get very hot - especially now!). It could be stress as we have only had him since last Tuesday although he did eat lots on his first day with us. At night when both his lights go off we turn his heat mat on. Should we also remove any uneaten crickets/locusts etc? I have never seen him bask - even when placed on his rock under the lamp he moves after a few minutes to the cooler side. Really need to sort this temp out.

Also where can I get silk worms from? Im from Kent.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UV light sounds right. it is hard to say what to do about the temps without have the right readings. It does not sound like he is hot since he is not gaping. The thing that is getting me is the no basking part. This is more of a thing for Renee, Francis or the others who know way more than me. How cold does it get in the house at night? You may not need the heat pad at all. If you do a heat emitter is better. The pads can burn the beardies belly as they can not feel temps on their bellies. How far is the basking sight from the heat source? Yes, all feeders should only be left in the viv for 15 minuets after they stop eating. Let him eat until he is full and once he stops eating remove any uneaten live feeders. I know crickets will bit him and can cause injury, I can not speak for locus. Also with live feeders be sure to feed insects that are no bigger than the space between the eyes.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he is laying flat after digging, there is a good chance that he is trying to warm up. It is hard to tell with your current thermometer. The stick ons have been known to be off by 20 degrees or so. I would invest in a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun. The probe is pretty inexpensive. Either of these will give you accurate readings. Temps are very important for digestion and pooping.

A heat mat isn't the best for beardies. As Sandra pointed out, they could burn their bellies. Night temps can fall to 65F.

We'll have to call on Janie for bugs. She is known as the roach queen, but also the bug queen (new one for you!). She is very good at finder bugs for sale around the globe.

BTW...ask away. We're all here to help you. There's a lot to take in, but once you get the basics down, you will be enjoying your new asset in no time! ;)
Not sure if I've given this to you, but here is our basic caresheet. It discusses, lighting, temps, food, etc. Give it a read and let us know if you have any questions.
Bearded Dragon Care

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you all.

The heat mat is coming out, sand is being replaced by paper towels for now and hubby will get left over critters out tonight (can do worms etc but not hoppers lol!!). I bought a digital with probe yesterday and that is going in today.

He tends to dig and then lay flat. Cant see how he can be trying to warm up as temps by his basking area are 110 (but not with the digi therm so will know more later). I think his rock is too close to basking light so will remove that (his basking light seems to hang down low and the bulb is quite big as well as the viv not being that high). Also wondered about getting him some form of wood to climb??

Still concerned about lack of poop and not feeding - although I guess the two go hand in hand - no food no poop.

I will be getting him a larger viv over the next couple of months but for now I will have to make the best I can with the one I was sold :mad:

Also for the bug queen - where can I get silk worms and other 'good' worms from? Im in Kent in England.

Thank you guys loads

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I actually do have links that are UK based...

Now, Let's just suppose I haven't read any other threads you have started..
I see the age, hatched in Nov 09, yes ? But how long have you had this dragon ?

You say you don't know if you have a coiled light or not.. so is the one you have like this :
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/arcadia-compact-d3-reptile-lamp-23w---8-or-10-373-p.asp
Or is it like this :
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/lucky-reptile-bright-sun-ultra-desert-150wbsud-150-1150-p.asp
Or like this :
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/arcadia-d3-12-reptile-tube-15w-18in-1431-p.asp

Your temps do need to be raised, can you lay your hands on a small outside flood light ? Say a 40w ? You'll also want a ceramic based fixture to screw that into, a shop bell fixture will do fine..
Bell fixture-
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/lucky-reptile-thermosocket--reflector-sml-htr-1uk-1154-p.asp

Give me a photo, of the enclosure as it is, now, so we can assess things a bit better...

Now for your links..
Worms, roaches (the best, but better that you start a colony of these so any you get, don't feed off quite yet..)
Dubia Roaches-
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=94&products_id=1086
Super/Morio worms-
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=94&products_id=57
Silk worms-
http://www.butterworms.co.uk/prestashop/product.php?id_product=15
Butter worms-
http://www.butterworms.co.uk/prestashop/product.php?id_product=20

There, that should get you started.
Hope this helps out..

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, Janie. I knew she would have some great resources for you. ;)

With relo stress, they tend not to eat, which as indicated, no poop. Also, regarding eating - temps and UV need to be just right for them to have an appetite. Once we find out your temps with the probe, we'll determine if any lighting needs to be adjusted.

You can find neat pieces of driftwood for your beardie to climb and lounge on. I'm not familiar with UK stores, but our local pet stores in the US have wood.

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you all for bearing with me!

Right - I have an 30 inch flouresant (sp?!) UV tube 25 watt at the top back central running from almost one end to the other (I am aware a new tank will be needed eventually).

At one end I have a 60 watt round reptile bulb hanging from the top that is his basking lamp. Close to that I have put a rock for basking but not underneath as it seems to close to the bulb. From bulb to sand it is approx 10 inch. He has a water dish and some plastic plant for decoration. Nothing else added til I get temps right. Black sand that I will change to ceramic tiles or paper towels.

Now.... heat! With the probe it is sitting at 95 degrees F as an overall and the max temp reading 97 and the min temp reading 94. Not sure what I can do to vary the two ends. With the round stick on thermometers, that I know can be out by quite a bit it reads 95 at the 'cool' end and 110 or over (thats all the thermometer goes up to!) at the hot end.

I will attempt to take photo's and upload them but that is getting technical lol!!

I really appreciate all your help - thanks for the links to the food aswell. I will get on and sort that out. This all seems to be so difficult!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay... I'd rather a photo, if you use www.photobucket.com you can open a FREE account and download all your pictures onto an album there.
Once there, using the last link under each photo, you can copy and paste that photo here.

Now, I wonder.. where exactly is that heat lamp located ? Is it by chance in the middle or on one side or the other..?
That will make a Huge difference in temp gradients.
If the heat is on one side, not the middle, you should be able to find that happy medium... Also, what kind of lid/screen or solid are you using ? That will also have an impact on heat escaping or being retained.
Hope this helps.

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
God, you have the patience of a saint replying to me lol x

The heat bulb is in the right corner. The actual viv is a beech surround with glass front and two holes each end on the back wall with a plastic vent bit over them (there are quite a few sold on ebay I noticed). I have the 3ft one.

Im stumped! Long 10 tube UV - correct. 60 watt basking bulb - seems correct. Am looking for a bamboo root branch for him. Im getting the relo stress and him not eating (how long can he go before worrying?).

I will take a photo tomorrow. Thanks again for your patience.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he hasn't started eating and evacuating in a month.. then you can start to wonder... I doubt it will go that far though...
Sounds like things are right... Just out of curiosity... which digi did you get ? and how old are the batteries ;) ?
If you can send me the link of the enclosure you bought.. I can find it, and take a look...
I know all of us just want things to be right, for both your peace of mind, and his comfort.. so no worries eh ?
Hope that helps out !
Keep asking questions, you won't learn otherwise, and I tend to answer when others can't or don't know... Not that this happens too terribly often, mind you.. we have over a century of combined dragon keeping, between the active members on this forum... Not all of us have every answer... so we tend to take turns... as it were.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jbab said:
I really appreciate all your help - thanks for the links to the food aswell. I will get on and sort that out. This all seems to be so difficult!

It may seem difficult now, but once you get the basics down (food, light, temps), you'll be on the happy path.

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Funny you should say that about the batteries!! It did stop working and when I took the battery out and 'blew' on it, popped it back in and bingo! It worked :) Will get new batteries today.

Have to say tho.. these dragons are infectious!! I have a 3 month daughter and every morning I pray she will keep quiet a little longer whilst I go and see Buddy lol!!!! No luck locating the silk worms as all out of stock - I am thinking I have more chance of seeing Father Christmas in the summer :D

Latest posts