• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

behavior question

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi - not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes...
This morning I went to feed Pete his crickets and, though he ate a few, he was not entirely interested. He seemed more interested in climbing the glass like he wanted to get out - or like maybe he saw his reflection and thought it was another beardie?? Is this normal??

thanks
Stephanie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pete is young, right?

There are a couple of thoughts that come to mind - it may be too early for him to eat. A great food schedule is to turn lights on, wait about an hour, feed him his salad. Follow up with some crickets in a couple of hours. Beardies under 1 year should eat their bugs 2-3 times per day and salad daily.

Another thought is the temp may not be warm enough or too warm. The hot side for a baby should be around 105-110F and the cool side around 85F.

And my last thought related to beardies not eating, UV light. Dragons need a high level of UV light. The ReptiSun 10.0 tube is the best on the market currently.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another thought is the temp may not be warm enough or too warm.

WOW, now Ive learned something as well. Didnt know if it was too hot they dont eat.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Too hot can cause just as many problems as too cold. Loss of appetite, aggression, parasites!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Saw that one too....figured you'd see this, no need to put it up twice. Temps changes can be such a pain, but once you know that they occur and you find a fix, you will always remember. For me, the summer was always a problem. We use central a/c and my temps dropped. So in the summer I always used a higher watt than in the winter, go figure, lol!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, thought of something else just now. Will post in my other thread as I dont wanna COMPLETELY hijack this one

Latest posts