• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardy with a surprise! Gravid! Help?

BMLDN

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good day to all. I recently took on a female beardy that came with a bit of a surprise, she appears to be gravid. I noticed this evening that she is doing a lot of digging and burrowing in her tank. Unfortunately it is not deep enough for her :-( now as i said, i had no idea that she would be carrying, and due to this i have no experience with breeding. I have done a lot of research before now but neither any practical work, which it now looks like i will be doing.

My question is this: I have been told and seen with breeders that i should give her a deep amount of top soil mixed with play sand. Now if this is correct then does it matter which top soil i use. Does it need to be organic/natural or can it be any top soil?

Any offer better suggestions for what to give her for laying?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome2e.jpg

Please be aware that females will periodically lay eggs without ever being with a male, that would be infertile or duds, of course. None the less the the preparation & care is the same whether fertile or not, because she still has to go through the exact same laying process. Here is some really good info on how to go about it. By the sounds of your description, if it is not just a beardie being a beardie & digging because she feels like it & likes to dig, that you should prepare a lay bin ASAP. Otherwise she will hold her eggs because she can not find a suitable place to lay & bury them, eventually out of desperation they may start to pop out a few at a time. There can be as much as 30+ eggs in there. Not having a suitable place to deposit her eggs could also lead to her becoming Egg Bound, which can be very detrimental to her health, if not fatal.

Good Luck,

BMLDN

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome2e.jpg

Please be aware that females will periodically lay eggs without ever being with a male, that would be infertile or duds, of course. None the less the the preparation & care is the same whether fertile or not, because she still has to go through the exact same laying process. Here is some really good info on how to go about it. By the sounds of your description, if it is not just a beardie being a beardie & digging because she feels like it & likes to dig, that you should prepare a lay bin ASAP. Otherwise she will hold her eggs because she can not find a suitable place to lay & bury them, eventually out of desperation they may start to pop out a few at a time. There can be as much as 30+ eggs in there. Not having a suitable place to deposit her eggs could also lead to her becoming Egg Bound, which can be very detrimental to her health, if not fatal.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the help. Yes i am aware they can lay duds, have the same with my soft shell turtles, and years ago when i kept snakes. I know now that she had been with a male a week or two before i got her, and i have had her for around 2 weeks. Unfortunately the previous owner failed to mention this until now.

So would you say Vermiculite is a better option than top soil?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Between the 2, i would say yes, personally, I just use washed children's play sand, no mixture ...