• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardy Weight Gain after Brumation

Jayrhamlin

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have a weird situation I was hoping I could get some help with. My Beardy was hatched somewhere around January 1st, 2012. She grew fairly quickly and reached 287g and around 16 inches by summer. Sometime in early to mid July, she started to brumate. I thought it was weird for a beardy so young to brumate, but my breeder told me they heard the same thing about others from the same clutch. Anyway, she brumated for 7 months and woke up mid February. She weighed 287g when she went down, and 287g when she woke up. Her feeding habits are back to normal and after 5 weeks, she has only gained around 10g. I know it's probably still too early to tell but could 7 months of brumation at such a young age stunt growth at all, or is she just going to be 7 months behind? Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

Regards,

J

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have not had the experience myself, but have been hearing of quite a number of early\young brumations this past year. Unsure of the cause. But yes, if she brumated that young for 7 months, her growth rate would have been stalled because of no nutrition during that time. She will catch up.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Agree with Germ....My Spike is about same age as your beardie. He went to sleep end of October and just woke up about 2 weeks ago. He was out for almost 4 months....it was sort of scary but I just let him do his thing and now he is eating, pooping and being his sort of 'ordinary' self....:rolleyes:

Latest posts