1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!
  1. Noah Furrare

Noah Furrare Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello, my baby bearded dragon I've had for over a couple months has lately been very sleepy, still under her lights, still moves around, dips in her water occasionally, but has refused to eat. At first i thought she wanted to brumate since it's been colder, but after a few days she still hasn't changed at all, or acted like she wanted to hide and brumate. Just sitting under her lamps and sleeping on and off all day. I've set up an appointment to get her to the vet for a fecal, but it won't be until Tuesday at the earliest i could get her in. In the mean time, I was wondering what i can do to get her to eat anything. She won't eat her veggies, and shies away from any bugs, mealworms, dubias, wax worms, horn worms, darkling beetles (She started to really like those as a rare snack when i ran out of dubias for a couple days) She still drinks, but not as often so yesterday after scheduling her vet visit i cleaned everything out thoroughly and gave her a bath which she drank some water, but kept smacking her mouth for about 20 seconds. (Might be normal but i haven't seen her do that before)

Any help would be great, and she is under her basking and coil uv bulb of course. Will be switching to tube light when I can
    (Edit) She was eating her veggies, but yesterday and today she barely has. I won't say for SURE she isn't eating them, because she did poop once yesterday, and a little a couple days ago, but mostly pee.
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

What size tank is she in? If its a 40 gallon your dragon is not getting any UVB -- how old is she? Babies do not brumate --- depending on their size they can at 8 months old but your baby would need to be pretty hefty to do that --- shes not eating because she cannot absorb the calcium she needs -- and that is a health issue- she needs that Reptisun 10.0 either the T 8 or a T 5 UVB ASAP--- coil uv bulbs are killers of dragons-- especially the 13 watt--------- its good your keeping her hydrated but you need to get that UVB changed out as as you can - she wont eat till then --- T 5's and T 8's need to be placed certain distances in the tank - so which ever one you get here is the distance -- a T 5 is 12-15 inches from basking decor inside the tank --- it can go on top if the screen is wide hold 8-10 inches - if the screen is a fine mesh 6-8 inches from basking decor --- the T 8 needs to go inside the tank - 8-10 inches from basking decor ---- the T 5 needs to be changed out once time per year and the T 8 every 6 months---
  3. Noah Furrare

I know the tubes are better but she's still getting fine uvb with the higher version bulb, not 13w. It's a 20 gallon tank and a strong coil bulb plenty of people swear by if you don't have a tube. Also under a 95-100f basking temp.
  4. kaylynangel

The coil is fine for a smaller tank but I recommend you get it changed out to a Tube -- your gonna need it when you go to a larger tank - you said it wasnt the 13 watt - is it the 26 watt Reptisun ? Those I have not heard anything bad about yet but it does need to be a certain distance for it to be effective here is some info I have on the 26 watt
    The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

Also basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby -- I recommend you start looking for a bigger tank she wont be in that 20 gallon too long --- if you stay w/ the 26 watt bulb and it is a Reptisun just make sure you have the proper distance when going to to the new tank - and I am not sure about the distance for that smaller tank - it could be too strong ---
  5. Noah Furrare

Yea she's still tiny so it'll be a while on the tank upgrade but i have a 40 gallon sitting around. Most people say basking temps for babies between 95 105, 110 but it's normally 102 with a temp gun. I say 95 to 100 cause the other little gage that sits is lower temp than what temp gun says, and as its been colder it's not always at 102. Uvb lamp is about 9-10 inches above.
  6. Noah Furrare

But my question is how do I get her to eat anything before we're able to see the vet, because from what i can tell, i own other reptiles, and it seems like parasites.
  7. kaylynangel

She wont eat w/ out good basking temps-- and the UVB I would try lowering a little bit -- is it in a dome w/ a reflector ? Parasites can cause not eating -- lets check the poops are they formed moist and dark? the urates are they formed moist and white -- no chalky or runny? Does the poop smell so bad it drives you from the room --- is she pooping regularly?