• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardies Snout Bleeding??

JayceM.M

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 2YO M bearded dragon, he sees the vet regularly, and is in an 88 gallon tank. He recently got blood work done but is 6 weeks past the 1 week follow up date and the vet has been ghosting me about it.

ABOUT:
2 days ago I came home and noticed one of his scales on his lower mandible (the one below the large one at the peak of his snout - you know what I mean?) had turned grey and had blood. It looked like he was beginning to moult/shed but had managed to rip not only the scale coming in but the scale underneath it. I brushed it off as him falling and perhaps hurting himself and figured I keep an eye on it.
Today the very same thing happened while I was at an appointment. The scale next to the prior injured one is now matching with a fresh prick of blood.

I tried to clean it with some water but have no betadine or safe antiseptic for an open wound. Im unsure of what exactly happened but I doubt this hasn’t happened with someone else before and am unsure how to proceed. Does anyone have any ideas?

PHOTOS OF WOUND ARE ATTACHED

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 2YO M bearded dragon, he sees the vet regularly, and is in an 88 gallon tank. He recently got blood work done but is 6 weeks past the 1 week follow up date and the vet has been ghosting me about it.

ABOUT:
2 days ago I came home and noticed one of his scales on his lower mandible (the one below the large one at the peak of his snout - you know what I mean?) had turned grey and had blood. It looked like he was beginning to moult/shed but had managed to rip not only the scale coming in but the scale underneath it. I brushed it off as him falling and perhaps hurting himself and figured I keep an eye on it.
Today the very same thing happened while I was at an appointment. The scale next to the prior injured one is now matching with a fresh prick of blood.

I tried to clean it with some water but have no betadine or safe antiseptic for an open wound. Im unsure of what exactly happened but I doubt this hasn’t happened with someone else before and am unsure how to proceed. Does anyone have any ideas?

PHOTOS OF WOUND ARE ATTACHED
What in the tank is he rubbing on --- anything sharp to cause the injury or is he glass surfing? You can take some raw unfiltered honey and dab on the scales - it will prevent infection and promote healing -- no crickets in the tank if your feeding them they will go for the wound

JayceM.M

Bearded Dragon Egg
What in the tank is he rubbing on --- anything sharp to cause the injury or is he glass surfing? You can take some raw unfiltered honey and dab on the scales - it will prevent infection and promote healing -- no crickets in the tank if your feeding them they will go for the wound
Nothing sharp in the tank, but there are some rough surfaces i.e. fake rock hides, grouted (lizard safe) basking ornaments, etc. he doesn’t tend to glass surf often, only when he wanted to be handled. Other people in the house say that they do hear a small crash come from his area but don’t see anything wrong or out of place when checking

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nothing sharp in the tank, but there are some rough surfaces i.e. fake rock hides, grouted (lizard safe) basking ornaments, etc. he doesn’t tend to glass surf often, only when he wanted to be handled. Other people in the house say that they do hear a small crash come from his area but don’t see anything wrong or out of place when checking
Ok well if you can find out what exactly hes rubbing on I would then remove it -- in the mean time try the honey - if he licks it hes fine --

Latest posts