• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie's claws

fergie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi All,

A great weekend for sure! A question is our little beardie has claws that are growing very long. in her viv we have a nice artifical tree she loves to climb, a foam back wall that she also climbs and the substrate is play sand.

My question is...what do you all do to keep the claws short? I have been considering clipping them but not sure what the consensus is on that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You can clip them. I have heard a lot of people do this. Our beardies are all on slate tile as a substrate, which actually works really well for keeping their claws in check. I haven't had to clip any yet, which is good because I doubt they'd be willing to sit still for that! :D

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i clip mine actually i clipped them yesterday, just make sure when you do this that you only clip the end off, being sure not to take to much causing bleeding, i keep my dragons on half sandstone and half sand clay mix. just use everyday nail clippers that'll do the job great or you could try putting some coarse sand paper in her viv so she shortens them herself.
hope this helps
paul

fergie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good, I'm glad to hear this. Her claws are awfully long now and I will take her to the vet for a checkup and clipping then I'll put up some 120 grit sand paper on a portion of her tree.

Thanks all! ;D

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I clip Ozzy's at least once a week...his seem to grow like crazy and they hurt!!!! I have scars from scratches from him all over my hands and on my chest...LOL....

Ozzy actually allows me to do it. I just use plain old clippers and just take off the very end that sticks out of the white part in them. He lets me know if I am going a little to far cause he kinda shakes his leg at me, but he does sit on my lap and allows me to do it. I try and do it after he gets out of the bath just because they are a little softer, but that doesn't always work cause sometimes he just wants back in his tank....

But it is ok to clip them. I wasn't sure at first either, but the wonderful people on here informed me it was completely ok to clip them, and it is!!!!

Latest posts