• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie wont keep his eyes open?

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I just got my beardie about 3 weeks ago from petsmart and ever since I got it he's been very tired. The first week and a half I had him all he did was sleep didn't really move around so I figured he was going through brumation, because one day he just woke up and was more active. But then u heard beardies can't go into brumation until they're a year old or more. Now he seems to be getting slower and more tired. He doesnt eat very much but he drinks water. He moves around his tank but he always has his eyes closed. Am I doing something wrong?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What kind of lights are you using and what are the tank temps?

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
What kind of lights are you using and what are the tank temps?
Right now I have a nocturnal infrared heat lamp 75w and a reptile basking spot lamp 75w. And I just have one of those wall thermometers which i know are pointless so I'm ordering a temp gun but the thermometer now says 85.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So if you are using a colored light at night even moonlights and black lights give off color dragons can see, it is most likely keeping your dragon up at night. That’s why it’s sleeping during the day so much. If the tank is getting colder than 65 degrees, try using a CHE instead. They give off heat with no light.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I used to leave on the heat lamp which is red, but for the past couple of days I've been turning all the lights off and I set up a heater in my room to make sure it stays pretty warm only to 65 degrees. I will go and buy a CHE though and a temp gun just to be sure. Until then, if my beardie isnt eating much what should I do?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You didn't mention a UVB bulb. The basking bulbs don't give off UVB which is needed to provide D3 and process calcium. You're UVB is separate light from the heat bulb but they should overlap each other in the tank because the UVB bulb provides the D3 and the heat from the basking bulb helps synthesize calcium, the two work together.

A 10.0 T5 UVB bulb is the best and can be set on top of the tank. A 10.0 T8 UVB bulb needs to be mounted inside the tank somehow.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have the lamp that's connected to another if that makes sense, and it came with the bulbs inside. On the box it says it gives off UVB, but I'm not sure how much. I will definitely get a new UVB light that you recommended.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm not sure what kind of bulb that is. The tube ones really are the best ones out there.

Latest posts