• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie won't eat crickets?

r00en

Bearded Dragon Egg
So at the start of the really cold weather here my Beardie Raz has almost stopped eating crickets altogether. There is no change in his behavior, when he comes out he's active and moving normally and still very alert and explores. His last poop seemed fine if not better than some of his previous (just a bit stinky) and he will try and jump out of his cage for a horn worm or meal worm...but only eats about two crickets when offered and refuses to touch any kind of salad I make for him.

He hasn't been losing weight from what I can tell, if I'm being honest he's a bit chunky which I started working on. He just refused to eat daily greens and still does. I'm going to start weight him to make sure he's not losing weight but could this be because of the cold or season change? This is my first winter with him so I'm not sure how some of these guys react, I know my ball python will slow down her eating in the winter wasn't sure if that translated to other reps.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
How old is he? How long have you had him? What are his lighting and temps? Beardies can slow down some in the winter, but it seems you usually will see sleepy behavior, not just them stopping eating. Does he have a shed coming on? That will affect their appetite and make them cranky. Have you had a decal done at the vet? If his poop is exceptionally stinky, he may have some parasites going on. Could also be that he’s just bored with crickets. Try some Dubia roaches or BSFL and see if he goes for those.