• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie won’t touch Dubai roaches but LOVES crickets

BJones0982

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am a new bearded dragon owner and started off feeding him crickets but soon learned roaches are not only better feeder but are way easier to keep. My issue is that he scoffs at roaches (eventually eating them) but will pounce on a cricket as soon as I drop them in the tank. Is this “picky eating” normal behavior for a 3-4 month old?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am a new bearded dragon owner and started off feeding him crickets but soon learned roaches are not only better feeder but are way easier to keep. My issue is that he scoffs at roaches (eventually eating them) but will pounce on a cricket as soon as I drop them in the tank. Is this “picky eating” normal behavior for a 3-4 month old?
Yep some dragons do not like roaches and some dragons do not like crickets -- that is normal

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Crickets are great/clean and healthy & so are Dubia roaches; for his age those are the best & only feeders. Do both; no harm in it, if he doesn’t like Dubias; it’s ok. Never ever do meal worms they impact them & are horrible for their tummy’s. Feed proteins 3-4 times a day; at this age he needs lots of proteins like 30 crickets amd or roaches per feeding u feed till he stops eating. And do the 2 fresh plates of a mix of veggies and greens; if u don’t train him now he will never eat them as an adult. The everyday best ones are/ mustard & collard greens, dandelions, endives, yellow squash, butternut sqaush, snap peas & green beans. Cut up into tiny pieces and mixed together 3-4 of the above mixed per plate of food. U can give that to him as a starter in the am & then do the proteins. Try and keep same feeding times for proteins like every 3 hours feed him. And a plate of veggies/greens in the Am & a fresh one in early afternoon after it gets wilted switch it out. And a bowl of water shake it in front of him so he knows & then leave both on the cold side always. They need 2hoirs to digest their food so after the last feeding make sure lights stay on for 2hours and remove the food/water bowl don’t leave it in their 2 hours before lights out/overnight. Buy REPCAL calcium powder and under a year old sprinkle 4-5 times per week once a day on his feeders or greens/veggies plate; u can place crickets in a large ziplock & sprinkle the calcium and shake the bag it also slows the crickets down; once he’s a year old u can do 3-4 times a week once per day. And Herptivite once per week on a non calcium day. Make sure u have a clear basking bulb for heat like the clear zoomed basking bulb and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. The length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank. Lights on in the winter 10-12 hours. (tyoically 10) and in the summer 12-14 hours (mainly 14). At night pure dark, quiet, close the blinds & NO lights. Also never ever use colored or coiled bulbs it burns their eyes & is horrible for them. Digital thermometer & digital hygrometer and temp for a baby his age is 100-110 and humidity always 30-40 never ever higher than 40. Once he’s almost 1year old; like 10mnths or so they like the temp less hot more like 95-98. And as adults it’s way more veggies/greens and less proteins 1-2 times a day like 20 large crickets and or Dubias roaches and u can add super worms at a year of age no more than 10/day they are high in fat. Or u can do 5 and like 15-20 large crickets. Don’t use sand substrate; they ingest it; I do double layer of white terry cloth towels so when they poop I remove & place new ones. Also; of course 2 baths per week minimum in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min at a time; Buy REPTISAFE it’s a bottle of drops u place in bathing and drinkin water that kills the chlorine if u dont have a filter system in your house. If he’s shedding u can do more baths. Play meditation music not to loud; they love it & it relaxes them & u can softly rub him downward from head to tail with a Soft toothbrush in the bath if he’s not shedding; never pull the skin off u can hurt them and make them bleed, then pat them dry with a soft cloth and under the heat lamp they go;)

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If you can get him to eat them, sneak a few roaches into each cricket meal and gradually increase the ratio of roaches to crickets. Eventually you'll be able to shift him onto a diet of mainly dubias and never again have to deal with the disgusting little demons known as crickets. There's also a chance he just doesn't like dubias, and you can try BSFL or silkworms as a staple if you don't want to maintain crickets.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you can get him to eat them, sneak a few roaches into each cricket meal and gradually increase the ratio of roaches to crickets. Eventually you'll be able to shift him onto a diet of mainly dubias and never again have to deal with the disgusting little demons known as crickets. There's also a chance he just doesn't like dubias, and you can try BSFL or silkworms as a staple if you don't want to maintain crickets.
Hooman stop being rude and goign against me!! Crickets are the best feeders!! Do u rescue and rehome like we do & work with vets??? Now stop!! Crickets are the best & great healthy quality feeders that don’t cause parasites!!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hooman stop being rude and goign against me!! Crickets are the best feeders!! Do u rescue and rehome like we do & work with vets??? Now stop!! Crickets are the best & great healthy quality feeders that don’t cause parasites!!
How was that rude (other than being rude to crickets, who don't understand manners)? I apologize if you found that offensive. I have every right to go against what you say, especially when it's incorrect or controversial. You are not the Supreme Dictator of the Lizards, and you really need to stop playing gatekeeper to the community. Crickets do carry parasites, and they aren't that healthy. There's a reason you need to feed more crickets than dubias, and it's because they aren't as nutritious or filling. Take a look at their nutrition info sometime and compare it to the nutrition of other insects.

I think we've been over this more than once, I do work with vets and I do have plenty of experience with multiple lizard species. It's really none of your business.

Rescuing and rehoming does not make you immune to being wrong, and it doesn't make you qualified to answer questions related to all subjects. You aren't qualified to diagnose other people's pets, and you've scared quite a few people away with your accusations and your need to post an entire care guide every time someone asks a question.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How was that rude (other than being rude to crickets, who don't understand manners)? I apologize if you found that offensive. I have every right to go against what you say, especially when it's incorrect or controversial. You are not the Supreme Dictator of the Lizards, and you really need to stop playing gatekeeper to the community. Crickets do carry parasites, and they aren't that healthy. There's a reason you need to feed more crickets than dubias, and it's because they aren't as nutritious or filling. Take a look at their nutrition info sometime and compare it to the nutrition of other insects.

I think we've been over this more than once, I do work with vets and I do have plenty of experience with multiple lizard species. It's really none of your business.

Rescuing and rehoming does not make you immune to being wrong, and it doesn't make you qualified to answer questions related to all subjects. You aren't qualified to diagnose other people's pets, and you've scared quite a few people away with your accusations and your need to post an entire care guide every time someone asks a question.
Well said. I think it’s evident that whatever information Julee is giving, be it ‘correct or incorrect’ that most people would rather she just not comment at all.

Initially I thought it was entertainment but it’s starting to really put me off using this forum. Luckily, I have common sense and I do plenty of research away from this forum but I worry about newbies that may be taking in her information without fact checking or being scared and made anxious by her and either giving the wrong care or it making their beardie experience less enjoyable.

She seems unable to admit when she is wrong and lacks the ability to reason and consider any information that isn’t in her copy and paste ‘care guide’.

Often when searching this forum I read posts from years ago and some of ‘pros’ or long term beardie owners seem very informative and polite and I wonder where they are now. We’re left with Sadie and Julee. What a shame. That said, you’re appreciated HooMan!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well said. I think it’s evident that whatever information Julee is giving, be it ‘correct or incorrect’ that most people would rather she just not comment at all.

Initially I thought it was entertainment but it’s starting to really put me off using this forum. Luckily, I have common sense and I do plenty of research away from this forum but I worry about newbies that may be taking in her information without fact checking or being scared and made anxious by her and either giving the wrong care or it making their beardie experience less enjoyable.

She seems unable to admit when she is wrong and lacks the ability to reason and consider any information that isn’t in her copy and paste ‘care guide’.

Often when searching this forum I read posts from years ago and some of ‘pros’ or long term beardie owners seem very informative and polite and I wonder where they are now. We’re left with Sadie and Julee. What a shame. That said, you’re appreciated HooMan!
Wow I never thought I was rude--- and I am a poster from the past -- I am sorry I have been offensive to you JJGmez or anyone else I never thought I have come off offensive -- I only try to help here w/ some one who needs help w/ their dragons --

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow I never thought I was rude--- and I am a poster from the past -- I am sorry I have been offensive to you JJGmez or anyone else I never thought I have come off offensive -- I only try to help here w/ some one who needs help w/ their dragons --
You’re deffo not as bad at Julee but at times it seems you can be problematic.