• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie won’t open eye.

helenamanring

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please help me figure out what’s going on with my boy. His eye looks to be in pain and he’s completely fine and alert on the other side but he won’t open his right eye. I can’t get a good picture because he won’t open his eye unless i’m holding him up.
I added a picture of his other eye as well.
Help me please, he’s my best friend.

Attachments

• 00EADC68-13B4-4F48-998B-386F9F6C5958.png
    00EADC68-13B4-4F48-998B-386F9F6C5958.png
    5 MB · Views: 19
  • 275C2F78-F6A8-4B01-A803-C66ECB4F554A.jpeg
    275C2F78-F6A8-4B01-A803-C66ECB4F554A.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

helenamanring

Bearded Dragon Egg
here are some more pictures. he’s in a 65 gallon, he has a ceramic heat emitter and a heat lamp with uvb. Hes active and can see well out of the other eye. He’s eaten but not with much accuracy. No discharge coming out of the eye but it is watering which leaves me to believe there’s something in there.
You can see the whites of his eyes when he does open it.
(Natural lighting didn’t cut what was going on so I had to use flash.)
I attached some photos, the two with his eye open and one with how his eye is when it’s closed.

Attachments

• 53B6DC01-BA97-4188-A4B9-C850EDF60FCD.png
    53B6DC01-BA97-4188-A4B9-C850EDF60FCD.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 3B5CC615-DDFA-4AD1-9976-82C340624D6D.jpeg
    3B5CC615-DDFA-4AD1-9976-82C340624D6D.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Can u go over your lighting, heat type, uvb type, (No “coil”/compact uvb bulbs , these cause eye problems) how long has this been going on? It looks irritated for shure, and it appears to be slightly foggy? Is that what u see too? Idk if its the photo, if u use eye drops make shure there’s no extra chemicals or n the drops (you want only saline)

helenamanring

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can u go over your lighting, heat type, uvb type, (No “coil”/compact uvb bulbs , these cause eye problems) how long has this been going on? It looks irritated for shure, and it appears to be slightly foggy? Is that what u see too? Idk if its the photo, if u use eye drops make shure there’s no extra chemicals or n the drops (you want only saline)
I have a heat emitter and a uvb bulb. His hotspot gets to about 92°F. The uvb bulb I use is a power sun 100w bulb by reptisun. I’ve had no previous issues with this bulb though.
It started 2 days ago, his eye was a bit cloudy but he could see out of it and seemed to have no issue with it and today I turned on his lights and he usually immediately perks up and opens his eyes but he didn’t open both. The other one looks really good and he tracks super well with it so I don’t know.
And I have some straight saline in a syringe because my dad likes to keep them around. I think i’m going to wait until tomorrow to start eye drops or anything. He seems otherwise healthy and earlier he was climbing around and you could tell he wanted to open his eye yk? Sort of like when you get something stuck in your eye so you close it and open it to get it out.

helenamanring

Bearded Dragon Egg
Would this work for eye drops?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Would this work for eye drops?
Yes rinse the eye w/ that---- what is the distance for the power sun? Is it on the screen or hanging above w/ no screen? Substrate ? What are you using? Power suns are pretty good for not causing eye issues - shed can tho so I was thinking it may have been that but you posted there is discharge coming out of it -

helenamanring

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes rinse the eye w/ that---- what is the distance for the power sun? Is it on the screen or hanging above w/ no screen? Substrate ? What are you using? Power suns are pretty good for not causing eye issues - shed can tho so I was thinking it may have been that but you posted there is discharge coming out of it -
The power sun is on top of a screen and he’s about 10 inches away from it at the highest point. Substrate wise I personally stay away from any type of loose substrate, he is on tile. The shed is definitely a possibility because he just recently went through a shed and there isn’t any discharge coming out. (that i can see the only thing is that it’s wet like an eyeball lol). I rinsed his eye with the saline and he’s having an easier time opening his eye. Its not staying completely open but if i move near his tank he’ll open his eye to see what’s going on. I think whatever this is will pass. If not I have already contacted a vet. Thank you for your help :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yes those drops are safe, do them now please, and i would maybe rethink ur uvb, i have used mvbs in the past to raise my beardy, but ill be honest they’re very hit or miss, they can be defective out of the box, single bulb uvbs arnt recommended by us (they either offer too much in a concentrated stream, or little to none at all of uuuvb rays) id recommend getting a long tubular uvb, it’ll be less harsh overall on his eyes and the uvb will be spread throughout his enclosure, my guess is its his uv, (“coil” compact uvbs are known to cause eye issues) i have personal experience with this, i had a coil uvb for a couple months, my beard closed one eye i looked it up, and was brought here.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes those drops are safe, do them now please, and i would maybe rethink ur uvb, i have used mvbs in the past to raise my beardy, but ill be honest they’re very hit or miss, they can be defective out of the box, single bulb uvbs arnt recommended by us (they either offer too much in a concentrated stream, or little to none at all of uuuvb rays) id recommend getting a long tubular uvb, it’ll be less harsh overall on his eyes and the uvb will be spread throughout his enclosure, my guess is its his uv, (“coil” compact uvbs are known to cause eye issues) i have personal experience with this, i had a coil uvb for a couple months, my beard closed one eye i looked it up, and was brought here.
I agree w/ the extra UVB ---- the MVB do not produce enough UVB --- please get a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or a Arcadia -- w/a Arcadia 12% or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- if and when you get it please post back on here so I can help you place it -- they need certain distance and placement

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
Please help me figure out what’s going on with my boy. His eye looks to be in pain and he’s completely fine and alert on the other side but he won’t open his right eye. I can’t get a good picture because he won’t open his eye unless i’m holding him up.
I added a picture of his other eye as well.
Help me please, he’s my best friend.
My dragon used to do that too, thought something was wrong...then he just starting having both eyes open again. If you can verify that there's nothing in his eye...then I wouldn't worry. Turns out some of them just like to keep one eye closed once in a while.

helenamanring

Bearded Dragon Egg
I previously didn’t buy a tube because of the price (i know how bad that sounds. and i now realize it would have been better for me to splurge.) I am getting my paycheck soon and as soon as I get it i will try and purchase a tubular uvb bulb and fixture. I rinsed his eyes with the saline and to no prevail. However, he will open his eyes for a few seconds at a time, and it seems to be at least a little bit less irritated. I’m going to see what he looks like tomorrow morning and if he’s still not looking good i’m going to get a vet appointment.

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
I forgot to even consider the UVB type...yea coil UVBs are junk for sure. I can't believe they still bother to make them.

Latest posts