• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beardie very active, black beard, running around

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
hey all!

my beardie (7-8 years, i adopted her two years ago) came out of her winter rest a couple days ago
(she didn't go to sleep properly, but she was very inactive and sleepy for about 2ish months, i lowered the temps and only switched on her uvb/a lamp for a bit each day)

i find her almost over-active now, she's black-bearding a lot, and running around in my room, climbing in and out of her tank (i let her free roam when i'm at home), taking breaks to bask, before scampering out again

i wonder what's going on with her.
she seems so stressed, but she'll let me handle her calmly, she'll sit on me for a couple minutes before she gets restless again and wants to go run

i haven't fed her any bugs yet, only a bit of lollo bionda, romaine lettuce, a few carrot shaves and a tiny slice of banana, she's had a couple poops (usually one a day), which looked normal to me.

she has not had any contact to males, but has been bred before i adopted her (touching her stomach, it doesn't feel like there'd be eggs in there, it's all soft and a little chubby)

does anyone have an idea what could be stressing her out? or if that's normal after coming out of hibernation?

her home:
150x60x60cm wooden terrarium
no substrate, but she has a sandbox with terrarium sand and clay powder for digging (she never uses it, but i keep it there just in case)
i use a mercury vapor heat/uvb/a lamp, currently 7ish hours/day, but slowly upping the length

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like she is looking for a mate, it is normal for them to once out of brumation it triggers mating behaviors..So in time this frantic behavior will subside. I would suggest Collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens...instead of lettuce as there is no nutritional value, I don't know what lollo bionda is..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know what lollo bionda is either, I want to know! Yes, there is something about coming out of brumation that triggers a hormonal change. One of my girls is doing the same thing. She calmed down for a few days and I thought it was over but she started again yesterday. My male that lives in a tank below her is doing the same. We do the same thing you do, we open his tank and let him come and go as he pleases. He tends to come out of the tank and look up to the girl and then blackbeard LOL!

Latest posts