• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Size/Health

amotoole

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

My little guy is (as of today) about 15 1/4” long at (thereabout) 5 months of age. He was just under 12 1/2” on August 10th. How big should I expect him to grow? I realize it depends on many factors but I just want to make sure I have ample space for him if he does get quite large. Is this a normal size for a 5-ish month old dragon?

He is in a 120-gallon enclosure. His lighting and temps are both perfect. He eats great, feedings are between 2-3 per day (dubias staple, one or two hornworms per day, plus occasional mealworms/black soldier fly larvae). Should I eventually transition to sand substrate? I feed him in the tank and worry about him consuming some of the substrate…

I would love any advice/thoughts on any of these questions. Thanks!!

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
I have a 4 month old female 14inches from nose to tip of tail .... 141grams

Attachments

• Cheeto II.jpg
    Cheeto II.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 40

amotoole

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 4 month old female 14inches from nose to tip of tail .... 141grams
This is him today… exactly 15.25 inches long, I got him on June 10th when he was around 2 months old. I have a previous post on here of him from August 10 on the day I got him. Your girl is gorgeous, love her colors!! I’ll get back about weight tomorrow. Thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is him today… exactly 15.25 inches long, I got him on June 10th when he was around 2 months old. I have a previous post on here of him from August 10 on the day I got him. Your girl is gorgeous, love her colors!! I’ll get back about weight tomorrow. Thanks again
Your 120 gallon tank is good - optimal for a full size dragon - they usually get anywhere from 20-22 inches long depending on their genetics -- good diet and correct lighting all play a part in their growth and health -- No coils for UVB and surface basking temps being taken w/a digital probe thermometer

amotoole

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your 120 gallon tank is good - optimal for a full size dragon - they usually get anywhere from 20-22 inches long depending on their genetics -- good diet and correct lighting all play a part in their growth and health -- No coils for UVB and surface basking temps being taken w/a digital probe thermometer
Good to hear. Thanks for the reply!

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
He's going to be a big boy by the size of that tail at the base.
My male 22 month is 22.5incles long and over 600gram.

Jackie_NYC

Bearded Dragon Egg
They're growing fast in the beginning. Then will slow down. It's normal size. My girl was 16 inches at 5 month. Now she's 8 month old and 20 inches. She's barely growing now. Also depends on the tail. Some has longer tail and overall looks like a lot of inches but it's not that big. I attach the picture size differens in 90 days period.

Attachments

• 20230724_224505.jpg
    20230724_224505.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 32

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

My little guy is (as of today) about 15 1/4” long at (thereabout) 5 months of age. He was just under 12 1/2” on August 10th. How big should I expect him to grow? I realize it depends on many factors but I just want to make sure I have ample space for him if he does get quite large. Is this a normal size for a 5-ish month old dragon?

He is in a 120-gallon enclosure. His lighting and temps are both perfect. He eats great, feedings are between 2-3 per day (dubias staple, one or two hornworms per day, plus occasional mealworms/black soldier fly larvae). Should I eventually transition to sand substrate? I feed him in the tank and worry about him consuming some of the substrate…

I would love any advice/thoughts on any of these questions. Thanks!!
I am a newbie momma so I can offer no advice except for comparison sake, my little guy is about 5.5 months and is 267g 18.5" so yours sounds about par, mine is on the larger side for his age I think but he is not fat, doesn't look overweight at all. Mine is male and they tend to be bigger from what I have read. Enjoy...these guys(at least mine) are soooo easy going. I have had baby iguanas that will run and hide if you don't hold them good but this guy has been a shoulder guy from day 1.

amotoole

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am a newbie momma so I can offer no advice except for comparison sake, my little guy is about 5.5 months and is 267g 18.5" so yours sounds about par, mine is on the larger side for his age I think but he is not fat, doesn't look overweight at all. Mine is male and they tend to be bigger from what I have read. Enjoy...these guys(at least mine) are soooo easy going. I have had baby iguanas that will run and hide if you don't hold them good but this guy has been a shoulder guy from day 1.
Wow... that is huge! That's as big as I've heard most beardies get on average. Insane. Does he have big parents? And yes, mine isn't gigantic but he's big enough. Just don't want him to be too big for his tank haha! Appreciate the response

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow... that is huge! That's as big as I've heard most beardies get on average. Insane. Does he have big parents? And yes, mine isn't gigantic but he's big enough. Just don't want him to be too big for his tank haha! Appreciate the response
Not sure about his parents but I have been warned repeatedly that they grow very fast and that, he has! His age is just a guess-timate as he was 13g, 7" when we got him and we have had him almost 4 months, we guessed he was 2 months when we got him by weight and length. According to charts I have seen, he is on the large side of 6 months and even into the 7 month range but I don't worry as he looks great and eats well. He has never eaten more than 50 dubias or crickets in a days time let lone 25 x 3 feedings a day like most things I have read. He eats with gusto and eats a good amount of veggies/greens so we just let him eat how much he wants.

He is too big for his habitat already so we are working out what we want to do next for him to have a bigger space. From 5-6 months he went through a huge growth spurt but now maybe he'll slow down, no telling. You were smart to go with the 120 gallon for sure. I use the same digital scale to weigh him as I do for my baking so it's accurate.

This is him a couple weeks ago...my husband made a meme out of it, as you can see, he is not fat nor is he skinny.

This is the link I have been using for length and size comparison, I use it only as a guide to make sure he is not too small, I doubt it is completely accurate but I don't think any chart can be because beardies are so varied in how fast they grow but it seems to be a decent guide. https://reptile.guide/how-big-bearded-dragons-get/

Attachments

• Dragon walks into a bar 2-Sal.jpg
    Dragon walks into a bar 2-Sal.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 21

amotoole

Bearded Dragon Egg
5 month: 11-16 inches
What's his weight?
Sorry I never responded! Life sort of got in the way haha.

His current length as of today is a smidge over 16 7/8”, weight is 255.5 grams. Seems normal to me. He’s growing up so fast! Still seems like a baby though.

What growth patterns are you seeing with your dragon?

Attachments

• IMG_2981.jpeg
    IMG_2981.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry I never responded! Life sort of got in the way haha.

His current length as of today is a smidge over 16 7/8”, weight is 255.5 grams. Seems normal to me. He’s growing up so fast! Still seems like a baby though.

What growth patterns are you seeing with your dragon?
He will grow till he's around 2-

amotoole

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not sure about his parents but I have been warned repeatedly that they grow very fast and that, he has! His age is just a guess-timate as he was 13g, 7" when we got him and we have had him almost 4 months, we guessed he was 2 months when we got him by weight and length. According to charts I have seen, he is on the large side of 6 months and even into the 7 month range but I don't worry as he looks great and eats well. He has never eaten more than 50 dubias or crickets in a days time let lone 25 x 3 feedings a day like most things I have read. He eats with gusto and eats a good amount of veggies/greens so we just let him eat how much he wants.

He is too big for his habitat already so we are working out what we want to do next for him to have a bigger space. From 5-6 months he went through a huge growth spurt but now maybe he'll slow down, no telling. You were smart to go with the 120 gallon for sure. I use the same digital scale to weigh him as I do for my baking so it's accurate.

This is him a couple weeks ago...my husband made a meme out of it, as you can see, he is not fat nor is he skinny.

This is the link I have been using for length and size comparison, I use it only as a guide to make sure he is not too small, I doubt it is completely accurate but I don't think any chart can be because beardies are so varied in how fast they grow but it seems to be a decent guide. https://reptile.guide/how-big-bearded-dragons-get/
This is so cool lol. Yeah he looks great. My guy eats so much and is now 16 7/8”. He’s a healthy little guy and has such a funny personality. He eats SO much still but it’s definitely slowed down a bit since he was like 2 months old. He’ll be 6 months by October 10 already! How’s your little dude doing?

amotoole

Bearded Dragon Egg
He will grow till he's around 2-
Good to know! Is it more like additional mass he adds on rather than length after a year or so? Any predictions for his final size? I’ve been told it’s hard to tell because beardie growth is so varied, but any opinions you might have would be great to hear!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good to know! Is it more like additional mass he adds on rather than length after a year or so? Any predictions for his final size? I’ve been told it’s hard to tell because beardie growth is so varied, but any opinions you might have would be great to hear!
Normal length is 20-22 inches depends on genetics - diet is key here too -- you want him around 400 grams or so

Latest posts