• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie puberty?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Hdrydr for all of your advice. We will try different things out and try our hardest to make her happy.
I don't like for my animals to feel like "pets" I like for them to feel like family. I want to enable her in using her own mind and give her the freedom to do so :) I really think the idea of giving her more freedom to explore with a portable basking light in the room would make her so happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it can't hurt.... lol

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
She just wants to be free even in a large room she runs up to a wall and cage dances. We definitely have a free spirited wild little girl who does not like any walls or limits lol.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Who knows what her personality will be when she grows up, she may settle down nicely..Don't laugh but are you sure she is a she...??

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Yes. At first we thought she was a he come to find out that's not the case. Checked her again and definitely female. Also had the vet check.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She just wants to be free even in a large room she runs up to a wall and cage dances. We definitely have a free spirited wild little girl who does not like any walls or limits lol.

Lol would it still be "cage dancing" if it's a wall? Wouldn't it be wall dancing? I'm just picking, call it what you want Hun.

Yes she's very free spirited. Once we get a portable basking light I'll honestly let her do what she wants (unless it's right after she eats or bed time. I put my foot down with that lol). I wonder if there are any good potable basking/UVB lamps so that she could get her UVB when she's out?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Who knows what her personality will be when she grows up, she may settle down nicely..Don't laugh but are you sure she is a she...??

I said the same thing last night haha,even checked to be sure she's a girl. From what I've read she's acting a lot like many say their males act.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol would it still be "cage dancing" if it's a wall? Wouldn't it be wall dancing? I'm just picking, call it what you want Hun.

Yes she's very free spirited. Once we get a portable basking light I'll honestly let her do what she wants (unless it's right after she eats or bed time. I put my foot down with that lol). I wonder if there are any good potable basking/UVB lamps so that she could get her UVB when she's out?

You can set up anything you want it's just limited to what you want to buy.... You could buy a Reptisun T5 HO tube style light and hang it like I've done above Izzy's tank by shelf angle brackets..put it by/overlap the basking lamp so when she's out and wants to warm up she'll get both...
Yea I would also make her sleep locked up..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So far the free roaming has helped a little. I also used a black towel to cover the sides of her enclosure so that she can't see the glass through her vines. She now only cage dances at the front of the Viv and is no longer ripping her vines down and flipping her rock over. This is a huge improvement! She's still too ADHD to sit still long enough to eat her entire afternoon meal. So I've split it in half. She gets half of her meal and than goes outside in the heat to play/digest. Than we come in and she gets the other half. We pushed dinner time back an hour so it now falls around the time she has chilled out for the night. We have also increased the frequency of bath time/window time since these two things seem to relax her the most. Hopefully this will pass but until than we are doing everything we can to work with her

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So far the free roaming has helped a little. I also used a black towel to cover the sides of her enclosure so that she can't see the glass through her vines. She now only cage dances at the front of the Viv and is no longer ripping her vines down and flipping her rock over. This is a huge improvement! She's still too ADHD to sit still long enough to eat her entire afternoon meal. So I've split it in half. She gets half of her meal and than goes outside in the heat to play/digest. Than we come in and she gets the other half. We pushed dinner time back an hour so it now falls around the time she has chilled out for the night. We have also increased the frequency of bath time/window time since these two things seem to relax her the most. Hopefully this will pass but until than we are doing everything we can to work with her

You said the last meal is when she's chilled out do you mean just not as adhd or when the lights go out? make sure she gets enough heat time before lights out..
Glad it's helping!!! she is a free spirit.. :)

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
You said the last meal is when she's chilled out do you mean just not as adhd or when the lights go out? make sure she gets enough heat time before lights out..
Glad it's helping!!! she is a free spirit.. :)

When she's not so hyper, which is usually around 3-4 hours before lights out. Thank you for all your advice by the way. Spyra had her second dose of panacur yesterday so I'm hoping she feels okay when she wakes up. I'd much rather have an off the walls baby than a sick one.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I know this is a few weeks old but my boy Luci was like this and still is, just not as bad. He has a dark spot on the tip of his nose and the bottoms of his feet are worn because all he did was run around his tank when he was in it. We would let him out and he would run around the house for hours, put him back in his tank and he would keep running! It was exhausting but I finally just accepted that's who he is and just learned to live with it. Free spirit is what I also call it. It's taken 3 1/2 years but he's now a lot more calm, he still has his moments where he insists on getting out of his tank but now it's more of him just wanting the door of his tank open and the "option" of leaving it if he wants.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That is exactly how Spyra is. We now just leave her door open and let her come and go as she pleases through out the day. She's much happier this way which makes us happy. We worked with her and our dogs so that she could roam without us constantly having to worry about keeping them separated. I wouldn't say she loves them but she also doesn't seem to be bothered by them (she acts like they aren't even there). The dogs have really came around as well. Our male now let's her lay in his bed which he's very particular about lol.
As crazy as she drives me at times, I wouldn't change a scale on her head lol. I love my wild woman :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is exactly how Spyra is. We now just leave her door open and let her come and go as she pleases through out the day. She's much happier this way which makes us happy. We worked with her and our dogs so that she could roam without us constantly having to worry about keeping them separated. I wouldn't say she loves them but she also doesn't seem to be bothered by them (she acts like they aren't even there). The dogs have really came around as well. Our male now let's her lay in his bed which he's very particular about lol.
As crazy as she drives me at times, I wouldn't change a scale on her head lol. I love my wild woman :)

I'm glad to hear that this is working out well now I figured she just needed to be more free to roam when she had extra energy to spend.. :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am pleased to say after a few weeks of giving Spyra her freedom she is no longer a crazy woman. She no longer destroys her enclosure and cage dances compulsively and now is able to sit still long enough to eat and bask [emoji4][emoji1319] I believe this is because she now knows she's not actually "stuck" in her Viv and can leave whenever.
She's a good girl that just insists captivity is not her style [emoji23] I don't blame her. Thank you hdrydr for all of the advice during this time. It's so good to see her able to relax again.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am pleased to say after a few weeks of giving Spyra her freedom she is no longer a crazy woman. She no longer destroys her enclosure and cage dances compulsively and now is able to sit still long enough to eat and bask [emoji4][emoji1319] I believe this is because she now knows she's not actually "stuck" in her Viv and can leave whenever.
She's a good girl that just insists captivity is not her style [emoji23] I don't blame her. Thank you hdrydr for all of the advice during this time. It's so good to see her able to relax again.

Awe that's awesome!! I'm glad I was able to help out.. that's what we are all here for.. glad you got your chill girl again.. afterall they are individuals with their own likes...

Latest posts