• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Not Really Eating (sorry for long post)

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all, our little StripeSpot suddenly won't eat ... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? We've had her for 3 months and she's grown about 9 inches and used to be an eating machine... Now it's only a few Dubia roaches or crickets a day and she eats very little greens. She's been spending a lot of time hiding, too. I estimate her to be 4-5 months old.
Temps: 102-105 in basking spot & 75-77 on the cool side (both temps taken with probe thermometers and vary just a little depending on ambient room temps).
Humidity: 29% on warm side and 36% on cool (probe hygrometers).
Lighting: 100 watt basking bulb in reflective dome, and tube ReptiSun 10.0 T5HO in a 30" reflector fixture. Wide mesh screen roof. Lights on 7:15 am and off at 7:15 pm.
Tank: 48L x 24W x 18H, tile substrate w/some burrowing clay in corner, and two hides.
Diet: Organic collard greens/dandelion greens and occasional shredded carrot; Dubia roaches mostly, and crickets when winter storms prevent me from getting Dubias. She poos once a day (v normal poop/urate).
Is this normal? Can they brumate at this age?

Attachments

• IMG_2573.jpeg
    IMG_2573.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, our little StripeSpot suddenly won't eat ... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? We've had her for 3 months and she's grown about 9 inches and used to be an eating machine... Now it's only a few Dubia roaches or crickets a day and she eats very little greens. She's been spending a lot of time hiding, too. I estimate her to be 4-5 months old.
Temps: 102-105 in basking spot & 75-77 on the cool side (both temps taken with probe thermometers and vary just a little depending on ambient room temps).
Humidity: 29% on warm side and 36% on cool (probe hygrometers).
Lighting: 100 watt basking bulb in reflective dome, and tube ReptiSun 10.0 T5HO in a 30" reflector fixture. Wide mesh screen roof. Lights on 7:15 am and off at 7:15 pm.
Tank: 48L x 24W x 18H, tile substrate w/some burrowing clay in corner, and two hides.
Diet: Organic collard greens/dandelion greens and occasional shredded carrot; Dubia roaches mostly, and crickets when winter storms prevent me from getting Dubias. She poos once a day (v normal poop/urate).
Is this normal? Can they brumate at this age?
Everything sounds great --- I would however move her off the floor-- put her up on a stand of some sort old dresser aquarium stand --- something so shes off the floor -- for some reason I have had others that had their dragons doing the same thing everything was good but they had them on the floor --- once they moved them off the floor they were more active and back to being a normal dragon --- I cant say this is the issue w/ yours but from looking at the tank and everything you have set up and thinking back to some others experiences I am wondering if the same thing is going on -- I guess it would be trial and error to see if this is indeed the issue --- also are you getting roaches from the pet store or ordering on line?

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Everything sounds great --- I would however move her off the floor-- put her up on a stand of some sort old dresser aquarium stand --- something so shes off the floor -- for some reason I have had others that had their dragons doing the same thing everything was good but they had them on the floor --- once they moved them off the floor they were more active and back to being a normal dragon --- I cant say this is the issue w/ yours but from looking at the tank and everything you have set up and thinking back to some others experiences I am wondering if the same thing is going on -- I guess it would be trial and error to see if this is indeed the issue --- also are you getting roaches from the pet store or ordering on line?
Oh thank you! I'll try that.... definitely didn't think about getting her off the floor!!
I normally order my roaches from online in bulk, from reptilesupply or reptilianarts.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh thank you! I'll try that.... definitely didn't think about getting her off the floor!!
I normally order my roaches from online in bulk, from reptilesupply or reptilianarts.
Ok -- www.dubiaroaches.com
They are backed up w/ orders but you can try them as well they are good

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you both so much. I got her some hornworms & she gobbled those right up, then she chased & ate a few crickets. I think she's doing better today and I have an aquarium stand on the way! Still waiting on my Dubia orders from over a week ago with the winter storms so I'm hoping they will make her even happier.

Latest posts