• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie needs help

mercury 1199

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I'm a new beardie owner. I have had my guy Max now for 4 days. The first 2 he was doing awesome. The last 2 days, he has moved from his perch. He won't eat. I'm using a 100w powersun 2 in 1 lamp. 112 basking temp 81 on cool side. Help please.

mercury 1199

Bearded Dragon Egg
uploadfromtaptalk1394760273107.jpg

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Could just be adjusting. May take a week or so. Also a good idea to have a vet check just to be safe in a week or 2 if things dont look better. How old? what kind of substrate? what size tank? how close to the light can he/she get? Pics may also help.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Could be he's just adjusting to his new home. Even if he was doing okay the first few days, it's now sunk in that "wait a minute, I'm not going back to that other place"! You could try to make him comfy by covering up the sides of his tank with some construction paper. Gives him time to explore his surroundings without worrying about whats going on outside of his tank. Also, try not to hold him too much right now. I know it's hard but new surroundings and constant handling will stress a baby out.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any updates on Max? It does take some time to adjust to new surroundings. To help him relax you can cover a portion of his tank with a towel...

Kayla

Hatchling Dragon
When I put haze into a bigger tank she just sat in the cold end of her tank for an entire day, just sitting in the water bowl, looking really confused and uncomfortable. 2 days later she was loving all of the new space she had. She's done that a few times when I've changed the substrates too.

mercury 1199

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to try them. How ever I talk to a fellow beardie lover today and found out I been feeding crickets that are to big. Got rid of them and got pin head crickets. Is it safe to feed him meal worms, cause he will eat them.

Kayla

Hatchling Dragon
I've heard meal worms cause compaction... My beardie loved them, literally could not get enough of them! But then she went from going to the bathroom every other day, to going once a week. So I just stopped giving them to her incase it caused any proper damage
Hope this helps x

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
From what I've been reading that is a myth they mealworms cause impaction studies have proved that crickets actually contain more chitin than mealworms do, impaction is cause more from substrate or bad husbandry over something 'food type' that is eaten.

A beardie's body produces its own enzymes that actually are made to break down chitin anyways.

mercury 1199

Bearded Dragon Egg
I woke up this morn at 7:30 and Max was up and about ready to eat. Gave him 10 crickets he all them. He really is doing better.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh sounds like he gettin ready to shed they can go almost white where they gunna shed Diego has a white head and legs at the min. Newt to worry about just plenty of baths n misting. ;)

Latest posts