• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie losing weight

CDub

Bearded Dragon Egg
c27f3938d7cb012f31dd0bda906ff120.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDub

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got our beardie December 26. He has been growing and eating like crazy. However, yesterday we noticed he seemed a bit skinny and tonight even more so. You can see wrinkles in his skin on his sides. We've also notice his appetite has decreased. We feed approximately 8-10 small crickets 3 times a day as well as offer kale, collard, turnip greens a couple times a week which he has recently started show interest in. Should we be concerned or maybe a growth spurt?

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
Babies not eating or losing weight would be a concern to me. Could have parasites or a virus. I'd go find a reputable herp vet

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

illusive

Bearded Dragon Egg
c27f3938d7cb012f31dd0bda906ff120.jpg

I have a 2 month old bearded dragon, and he has had those wrinkles normally when his body was turned but i would touch him and he'd go right back to normal but if he is constantly doing it, it's probably an issue

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd get him into a vet and checked for parasites as soon as you can. In the meantime, keep him hydrated and give him all the food he'll eat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CDub

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all. We will find a vet today.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bring a stool sample with you if you can.

CDub

Bearded Dragon Egg
What does everyone do for watering? My wife's cousin is a vet and called some contacts this evening. They suggested putting him in a warm bath with calcium powder to see if he would drink. Full on head dunk for a drink. We think he was getting dehydrated.

CDub

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has already perked up and acting more normal. We had a water dish and then read it was bad and just to mist them and pull the dish out

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They can usually get enough moisture from their food..If they are eating, but a lot of people like to bathe them in the tub of warm water routinely. I never heard about putting calcium in the water though?? It also has the benefit of gently assisting a bowel movement and that of itself may stimulate them to eat again. Especially if they had a minor blockage that can be caused by excessive ingestion of substrate that they may be housed on or ingestion of inappropriately sited prey.

Another hydration tactic is to drip some water on his nose (you can even do this in the bath). He may lick it off his nose.

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
The theory is that beardies don't recognize standing water as being drinkable. Elmo clearly does because if I put water in her tank she drinks it all and makes herself sick so she gets a weekly bath. None of my other beardies would drink out of bowl though. If you drip water on their nose it will fall into the sides of their mouth. You'll normally just see them swallowing. You'll hardly ever see them actually open their mouth to drink

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use an eye dropper to give my beardies water. It's worked like a charm for me.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just make sure that if the eye dropper is glass I would recommend being very careful as adults they can and will bite and break the tip.. I use plastic syringes to do liquid supplements/slurries

Latest posts