• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie losing appetite...

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! My beardie is turning 1 in June, and lately I have noticed his appetite has decreased. I know that as beardies get older you don't have to feed them everyday, so I was wondering if that is the case, than when they get older they also don't want to eat everyday. He goes about 2 days without eating and then 2 days eating and so the cycle continues. Is this normal? He is pooping fine and his basking temp gets from 100-105 and he has a 10.0 reptisun UVB so everything in his tank seems fine to me. If anyone can let me know if this has happened to them or if you know its a normal thing I would greatly appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. I've heard they do eat less when they're adults, but Allie the bugger herself has been eating more crickets than greens. (I think she missed her crickets because she went without them for two to three days until the shipment came in and she waited til the fourth day because I had to gutload those crickets.)

She's eating less greens and sometimes, she'll hit a growth spurt and eat like an eating machine with a bottomless pit. It really depends on the dragon and how much they want to eat.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
My Ryuu is almost 2 . She will slow down on eating from time to time but right now she is a total piggy ! She can eat 2 big bowls of greens a day. The only down side is she is a pooping machine :rolleyes:

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would have to concur. Both of ours are just over year old, and they both eat pretty much every other day, unless we put something that moves in front of them. In that case, they eat like they've been starved. These little buggers are like us...sometimes they're really hungry, sometimes they aren't.

It's like Mounds and Almond Joy. Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks so much everyone for your feedback! That does make me feel a bit better...the only problem is that Baby refuses to eat his vegetables! He went through a phase where he started to eat them, and now no matter what I do to try to get him to eat them he just won't! I know a lot of people have brought this topic up and I love all the ideas I have heard so far, and I have been trying them with him, but he won't even go near them! I feel badly because sometimes Baby doesn't want to eat his crickets for 2 days in a row and he must be a little hungry but he won't eat his greens! I am worried he is going to get overweight because all he eats is crickets so does anyone have any really unique ideas on how to get them to eat their greens again?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike doesn't eat greens. I finally gave up and just feed him gutloaded crickets and a few mealies now and then. I wish he would eat greens but he is a stubborn boy. He did eat green beans for a little while then stopped. Anyway, he is thriving, active and dances on the glass all afternoon!! :D

Latest posts