• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie likes to just hang out in his hides.

MrSelmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

long story short he was cleared for parasites roughly under a month ago so i was able to set his viv back up with all his substrate and hides and furniture, from then he would only stay in his hot side under a basking hammock, he would eat food if brought to his face, i removed the hammock and now he just stays in his cold hide while eating if food brought to him, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,

long story short he was cleared for parasites roughly under a month ago so i was able to set his viv back up with all his substrate and hides and furniture, from then he would only stay in his hot side under a basking hammock, he would eat food if brought to his face, i removed the hammock and now he just stays in his cold hide while eating if food brought to him, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Could be a number of things- have you tried putting the hammock back in? Dragons do not like change - why did you remove the hammock?

MrSelmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could be a number of things- have you tried putting the hammock back in? Dragons do not like change - why did you remove the hammock?
i took the hammock out first as i was worried he was not getting hit uv as he was staying in his hide was he rarely basking

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i took the hammock out first as i was worried he was not getting hit uv as he was staying in his hide was he rarely basking
So where is the hammock now? Are you using a coil UVB? What are the surface basking temps? For an adult they should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- are you using any colored bulbs? Are you using any off white or yellowish or daytime basking bulbs?

MrSelmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hammock is out of the viv, for his heat lamp i am using a 75 watt arcadia heat lamp, for his UVB i am using an arcadia d3 12% lamp, his basking spot temp is 61 im ashamed typing this, i have turned off his basking bulb for now, i can only assume it got so high due to the current heatwave in the uk, i have left his heat mat on, also i am not using any coloured bulbs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hammock is out of the viv, for his heat lamp i am using a 75 watt arcadia heat lamp, for his UVB i am using an arcadia d3 12% lamp, his basking spot temp is 61 im ashamed typing this, i have turned off his basking bulb for now, i can only assume it got so high due to the current heatwave in the uk, i have left his heat mat on, also i am not using any coloured bulbs.
So your basking temp was 61 C -- thats 140 F --- your dragon could have heat stroke if he was under it -- please get rid of the heat mat -- dragons heat w/ their backs not stomachs -- how long has the 61 C been going on -- that would explain the hiding out in the hides -- do you have a cool end of the tank ? that should be 80's F 27 C or so

MrSelmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok ive put the heat bulb back and turned off the meat mat, his cold side it at 33c, have you got any advice for cooling his tank down?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok ive put the heat bulb back and turned off the meat mat, his cold side it at 33c, have you got any advice for cooling his tank down?
91 F or 33 C is too hot for cool side -- it needs to be 80 F or 27 C --- the top of the tank is it solid or a screen? If its a solid top how many vents do you have on the sides --- put the heat bulb back ? what does that mean? please post a pic of your tank

MrSelmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
sorry what i meant by put back what that i have plugged it back in, top of the tank is solid, vents i have 2 on the lower left and 2 on the upper right

Attachments

• 293549479_376735217905959_1761221853402882670_n.jpg
    293549479_376735217905959_1761221853402882670_n.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry what i meant by put back what that i have plugged it back in, top of the tank is solid, vents i have 2 on the lower left and 2 on the upper right
How are you getting your surface basking temps? Please no stickons they are inaccurate - you want 2 digital probe thermometers -- Zoo Med is an example--- you may haft to lower the wattage on the basking bulb to a 65 watt --- solid top tanks will hold the heat in more --- the distance for your UVB to the top of the basking decor piece is what? It should be 12-15 inches - does he sit on top of his hide for the UVB?
2 on the lower left and 2 on the upper right are basking bulbs?

MrSelmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
to get the surface basking temp im using a temp gun, i have shifted his basking spot now to be 12 and a half inches, ill head to my local exotic tomorrow to picl up a 65 watt, he will sit on top of his cold for the uvb or on his food bowl, 2 on the left and two on upper right are vents that came with the viv set up

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
to get the surface basking temp im using a temp gun, i have shifted his basking spot now to be 12 and a half inches, ill head to my local exotic tomorrow to picl up a 65 watt, he will sit on top of his cold for the uvb or on his food bowl, 2 on the left and two on upper right are vents that came with the viv set up
Ok please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate -- its going to be trial and error w/ the basking bulb -- so please get the probes they are going to be better than the IR gun - sometimes IR guns give wrong temp readings --- depends on what the basking decor is made out of

MrSelmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
sorry for going quiet, after working on the set up ive changed my bulb and got the basking spot to 35c and his cool side to 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry for going quiet, after working on the set up ive changed my bulb and got the basking spot to 35c and his cool side to 25
Ok the 35 is good 25 is too cool you want it around 27 - what has his behavior been like since lowering temp?

Latest posts