• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Keep throwing arms back and shaking them

desmith0927

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 1 y/o Elliot has been doing something that I literally have never heard of before and cannot find info on anywhere. Probably 3 months ago I laid him down to sleep and he threw his arm completely back, parallel to his body and started shaking it. It didn’t seem voluntary though. I took him to the vet shortly after and they said everything was fine with him.

Well, he’s started doing it again. It is not an arm wave. I have a baby baby beardie as well and she arm waves - I know what it looks like. Every time I lay him down at night he will throw his arm back and like twitch/shake it. Sometimes, one does it and then the other. I was thinking it may be like a digging behavior but it doesn’t seem voluntary. Also, he is now basking and I just saw him throw his right arm back and shake it again.

Any ideas what this might be? It really has me freaked out. Neither vet I have taken him to in his life really seem to know what they are doing or even really care too much. Looking for another. But has anyone else seen this with their beardie or can anyone explain it? Everything with his setup and husbandry is correct and on point always. I just don’t know what’s going on. I am going to try to get a video tonight but it is unpredictable. I’ll see what I can do though.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My 1 y/o Elliot has been doing something that I literally have never heard of before and cannot find info on anywhere. Probably 3 months ago I laid him down to sleep and he threw his arm completely back, parallel to his body and started shaking it. It didn’t seem voluntary though. I took him to the vet shortly after and they said everything was fine with him.

Well, he’s started doing it again. It is not an arm wave. I have a baby baby beardie as well and she arm waves - I know what it looks like. Every time I lay him down at night he will throw his arm back and like twitch/shake it. Sometimes, one does it and then the other. I was thinking it may be like a digging behavior but it doesn’t seem voluntary. Also, he is now basking and I just saw him throw his right arm back and shake it again.

Any ideas what this might be? It really has me freaked out. Neither vet I have taken him to in his life really seem to know what they are doing or even really care too much. Looking for another. But has anyone else seen this with their beardie or can anyone explain it? Everything with his setup and husbandry is correct and on point always. I just don’t know what’s going on. I am going to try to get a video tonight but it is unpredictable. I’ll see what I can do though.
This could be the start of MBD or neurological issues --- what are you using for a UVB? NO coils NO colored bulbs please ---

desmith0927

Bearded Dragon Egg
What I am supposed to be using. Reptisun 10 uvb t5 with hooded reflector fixture. As I said, his husbandry is where it is supposed to be

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What I am supposed to be using. Reptisun 10 uvb t5 with hooded reflector fixture. As I said, his husbandry is where it is supposed to be
Ok do you have it correctly placed? Where is it? Top of screen or inside the tank? That is unusual behavior--

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Does it look like he’s in a super man pose? Because a lot of beardies will place their front arms backwards when the sleep and do a little wiggle dance to get comfy or shake their hands a bit as well. My Cleo does that every night and it’s the cutest thing ever. Sometimes if a beardie is really comfy when basking they’ll do the same

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Does it look like he’s in a super man pose? Because a lot of beardies will place their front arms backwards when the sleep and do a little wiggle dance to get comfy or shake their hands a bit as well. My Cleo does that every night and it’s the cutest thing ever. Sometimes if a beardie is really comfy when basking they’ll do the same
That’s what I was thinking to , but didn’t wanna comment that incase it is something serious.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

You cannot houz “2” Beardies in the same enclosure. So if they are in the same tank; then separate them ASAP. One will always suffer & die of stress, lack of food and lack of proper heat, etc. Arm waving or head bobbing is a sign that they see the other beardie & don’t want to fight or are scared. Beardies get very stressed & territorial seeing another beardie; so place the tanks & Beardies away so they cannot see each other at all. 2ndly; any twitching or shaking of any sort is a sign of MBD. All UVB lights need replacing every “6”Mnths religiously & the best & most recommended/proper UVB to use is the Reptisun 10.0 T5; it’s a long tube. The length u order should cover 70percent of the tank & should be placed starting at the hot side. Also make sure u have a hideaway for the Beardie. Never ever use coiled or colored bulbs and turn off all lights at nite; they like dark & quiet. In the winter use a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter at bedtime which emits heat and no light & for all Beardies under 6Mnths of age temp should be 84 at night so use the ceramic heat emitter at all times when sleeping especially if he’s under 4mnths old. Lots of good protein 3-5 times per day crickets and Dubias and a plate of fresh veggies/greens everyday & replace after 4 hours or so for a fresh plate.

Latest posts