• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Help!

crilund

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hey everyone i'm a newcomer to the forum and a new reptile owner I recently purchased a 6-7 week dragon who i tought was a female and i was given a baby dragon about a couple of weeks old. so I take them to get sexed and both turn out to be males (supposedly). so my question is, is it ok for them to be housed together? here are some pics of them thanks in advance for your help.

DSC07814.jpg

DSC07815.jpg

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
From what I've read..2 males should not be housed together as adults.

Love the picture of them hangin together!

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'll give you my opinion and then tell you what happened to me. From my readings, beardies of the same sex are territorial by nature. If you can avoid it, separate the two you have now.

Now onto the story...

I have a baby (we own) and an adult that I was watching for my son's school. I would often take the little guy into see the big one but I would only have the little guy out of the tank. One day the little guy jumped onto the desk, and suddenly the big one raced off his perch and tried to eat him through the glass.

What I learned... never have two of the same sex together if you can avoid it.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It isnt so much a matter of same sex. Its a metter of thier nature. If its smaller it can be eaten. If it isnt it must be competion.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just chiming in. As much as we would like to think these adorable little creatures would get along, by nature, they do not. They are solitude animals. You can do you research on previous forum posts. We have had quite a number of members with beardies housed together who were doubtful they needed to be separated. Then, one went after the other or one was not eating and was sulking in the viv. The members then separated them and was amazed how active the docile dragon became.

Bearded dragons are social, but with their humans. They need to have activity around them. Just not other bearded dragons. Even good breeders will not have their male and female together for extended periods of time.

I recommend separating them as soon as possible. And as pointed out, make sure the vivs are in places where they can't see each other.

If funds prevent you from getting a second viv at this time, you can put a divider in the viv so they can't see each other. This is a short term solution until you can separate them or find a good home for the other.

crilund

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok they have been separated, one more question the little guy is a little yellow with orange stripes but i was told it was a normal, are they like this or is it possible its a morph?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Colors vary per dragon. Some are more vibrant than others. We have a couple breeders on the forum. Let's see if they recognize a morph....

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pics look like normal poopers to me, maybe some type of sandfire thrown in the mix for the spots of color. Its hard to tell from just a couple pics.

crilund

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The bigger one is a blood red/ citrus orange but i was just wondering about the younger one thanks. He look a little grenish yellow he just shed too

Latest posts