• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie help!!

beardiemom2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey I have an about 5 month old beardie that is making some strange noises and exotic vets are few in my area I have an appointment for the 24th but idk if I need one sooner I've called vets up to 3 hrs away and they all aren't accepting new clients so was hoping someone could maybe help here. She puffs her beard a few times followed by a pop after a few times it's almost like a like squeak

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey I have an about 5 month old beardie that is making some strange noises and exotic vets are few in my area I have an appointment for the 24th but idk if I need one sooner I've called vets up to 3 hrs away and they all aren't accepting new clients so was hoping someone could maybe help here. She puffs her beard a few times followed by a pop after a few times it's almost like a like squeak
Could be a RI- please go over your uvb your using coil or a long tube fixture where it is placed- surface basking temps and how your getting those temps-- no analogs for those - humidity in the tank?

beardiemom2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could be a RI- please go over your uvb your using coil or a long tube fixture where it is placed- surface basking temps and how your getting those temps-- no analogs for those - humidity in the tank?
I use the reptisun 10.0 long tube fixture in the center of the tank for the uvb temp is usually around 90 to 100 on the basking side and the cool side is about 80 both bulbs for the day and night heat are the reptisun bulbs, I believe a 75 watt. average Humidity is between 35 and 48

beardiemom2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use the reptisun 10.0 long tube fixture in the center of the tank for the uvb temp is usually around 90 to 100 on the basking side and the cool side is about 80 both bulbs for the day and night heat are the reptisun bulbs, I believe a 75 watt. average Humidity is between 35 and 48
Sorry zoomed long tube not reptisun

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry zoomed long tube not reptisun
Night bulb is a colored bulb? If so get rid of it - NO colored bulbs at all -- day bulb ? No day bulbs if its what I am thinking -- they have a neodiyum coating on them
Neodymium bulbs
the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking
instead. Please get your surface basking temp up to 95-100 for a 5 month old taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
Humidity is being taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer? It should be placed on the back center wall of the tank giving a more accurate reading of the tank - if it is a true reading then you are good optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% -- UVB should be placed in the tank for a fine mesh screen and not on top screens block approx 30% of the rays 12-15 inches directly over the basking decore --- wide hole type of screen 8-10 inches

beardiemom2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the basking light. No colored lights whatsoever. The light is just over 12 inches from the bottom of the tank. The temp is usually around 93

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How would I go about putting the uvb in the tank?
You can use 3 M Velcro fasteners --- fishing line--- long plastic zip ties-- I recommend picture wire hanger it bends easily-- place the UVB directly above your basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- you can also cut the screen to the UVB length as well -- it is up to you --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay it won't let me post the picture but it's repti basking spot lamp 75 watt
yes that is a good bulb--- make sure you have correct wattage for the temps you need tho 95-100 w/ a digital probe thermometer--- it is trial and error w/ basking bulbs - if you move the decor piece higher you will get warmer temps just do not have it closer than 6" you will burn him - take the probe place it where he sits for basking 10 min or so get your temp you dont need to leave it there stick it on the side of the tank and check it every couple of weeks they do get weak over time

beardiemom2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thank you so much for all your help! I was able to get her a sooner appointment this Monday so hopefully all works out till then!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you so much for all your help! I was able to get her a sooner appointment this Monday so hopefully all works out till then!
Why are you taking her in ? No enemas at the vet --- they can end in disaster if they want a fecal take one w/ you- 24 hr sample- but NO ENEMAS !

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Because she's showing signs of a respitory infection and they won't give any suggestions over a phone.
Get a video - record on YouTube post the link- I can have Tracie take a look- what kind of signs- mucous out of nose or mouth? Crackly or wheezing? Breathing from the mouth? Make sure your surface basking temps are good and uvb is properly placed and distanced - did I help you get your tank set up

beardiemom2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get a video - record on YouTube post the link- I can have Tracie take a look- what kind of signs- mucous out of nose or mouth? Crackly or wheezing? Breathing from the mouth? Make sure your surface basking temps are good and uvb is properly placed and distanced - did I help you get your tank set up
I have her on antibiotics for a respitory infection I had her at the vet, she seems to be doing much better now! The uvb and basking are all in the places and heats they are supposed to be. Thank you!

Latest posts