• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie hates veggies

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Any advice on how to get my beardie to start eating veggies on his own?

I’ve tried bee pollen, insects in his salad, flower toppings, etc. Every now and then he’ll grab a green by accident but will refuse to eat after that like I offended him. I just want him to eat his veggies ;-;

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any advice on how to get my beardie to start eating veggies on his own?

I’ve tried bee pollen, insects in his salad, flower toppings, etc. Every now and then he’ll grab a green by accident but will refuse to eat after that like I offended him. I just want him to eat his veggies ;-;
How old is the dragon?? What insects have you tried? BSFL? Silk worms? Horn worms? Any of those ?

nye

Hatchling Dragon
How old is the dragon?? What insects have you tried? BSFL? Silk worms? Horn worms? Any of those ?
No idea of his exact age but he was an adult when i got him 4 years ago. ive tried all uve listed. he’ll eat around the salad to get them but thats it. he wont ever go for his salad

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No idea of his exact age but he was an adult when i got him 4 years ago. ive tried all uve listed. he’ll eat around the salad to get them but thats it. he wont ever go for his salad
I really dont know how to get him to eat them -- this is why I stress people start right from when they are babies --I made the mistake of only feeding bugs up until a year w/ my oldest and I can barely get him to eat them now too - he will however eat a few at times but more often than not - I have gotten where I just put salad in every day and add a super worm or two on top along w/ horn worms when I get them - he loves horn worms that always brings him to the bowl- he will eat a leaf or two of salad but always going for the horn worm --- silk worms stick to every thing and if he likes silk worms use those in the salad - dragons are picky about their food -- its hard to find something they really like - all I can is feed him insect 2-3 times per week and keep offering salads everyday w/ a worm or two on top --- make sure your dusting those insects w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene since hes not eating the veggies and that is where he would be getting his vitamins from -- I would dust them 2 x per week like a baby

nye

Hatchling Dragon
I really dont know how to get him to eat them -- this is why I stress people start right from when they are babies --I made the mistake of only feeding bugs up until a year w/ my oldest and I can barely get him to eat them now too - he will however eat a few at times but more often than not - I have gotten where I just put salad in every day and add a super worm or two on top along w/ horn worms when I get them - he loves horn worms that always brings him to the bowl- he will eat a leaf or two of salad but always going for the horn worm --- silk worms stick to every thing and if he likes silk worms use those in the salad - dragons are picky about their food -- its hard to find something they really like - all I can is feed him insect 2-3 times per week and keep offering salads everyday w/ a worm or two on top --- make sure your dusting those insects w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene since hes not eating the veggies and that is where he would be getting his vitamins from -- I would dust them 2 x per week like a baby
I got him as an adult. He was neglected in his past home so I’ve been trying to right their wrongs. Ill try the silk worm trick though, thanks! He’s pretty smart and will spit out any greens but hopefully that’ll keep them in his mouth

madchiller85

Hatchling Dragon
Mine is only a couple months old. I struggle to get him to eat as well. Tried all manner of insect in his salad and he just avoids it like the plague. Tried hand feeding and that definitely doesn't work. I just put a fresh salad in there for him every day, put a little bee pollen on it, I even found some bearded dragon salad dressing, but he still won't bite. I think they're just picky eaters. Mine is still really young, so hopefully I can get him to start eating his veggies.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine is only a couple months old. I struggle to get him to eat as well. Tried all manner of insect in his salad and he just avoids it like the plague. Tried hand feeding and that definitely doesn't work. I just put a fresh salad in there for him every day, put a little bee pollen on it, I even found some bearded dragon salad dressing, but he still won't bite. I think they're just picky eaters. Mine is still really young, so hopefully I can get him to start eating his veggies.
Try BSFL silk worms small super worms add those to your salads if you havent already -- the BSFL usually work really good -- even small horn worms

Latest posts