• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie hates tank?? Help

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
My bearded dragon hates her tank. Whenever I put her in it she just stays at the very top near her basking light. When she's in her tank, she gets extremely stressed and gets stress marks. When I take her out, she's perfectly happy and energetic. I've made sure I have the proper lighting and everything, I'm not sure what's wrong. She moved into this tank a month or two ago and still doesn't like it. The only thing that's wrong with it is that her basking spot is a hammock, which I'm going to be replacing asap. Is that what could be wrong?? Is she sick??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded dragon hates her tank. Whenever I put her in it she just stays at the very top near her basking light. When she's in her tank, she gets extremely stressed and gets stress marks. When I take her out, she's perfectly happy and energetic. I've made sure I have the proper lighting and everything, I'm not sure what's wrong. She moved into this tank a month or two ago and still doesn't like it. The only thing that's wrong with it is that her basking spot is a hammock, which I'm going to be replacing asap. Is that what could be wrong?? Is she sick??
Go over the basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons- uvb? Is it a coil or tube fixture? Stress marks can be caused by improper lighting and temps+- what size tank is she in?

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Go over the basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons- uvb? Is it a coil or tube fixture? Stress marks can be caused by improper lighting and temps+- what size tank is she in?
She's in a 55 for now, but I'm upgrading to a 75 soon (she's still young so I was told it's okay for now). I don't have a way to measure her basking temp, how would I do that?? She doesn't have a coil, she has a Zoomed 10.0 and a 150 watt heat lamp.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's in a 55 for now, but I'm upgrading to a 75 soon (she's still young so I was told it's okay for now). I don't have a way to measure her basking temp, how would I do that?? She doesn't have a coil, she has a Zoomed 10.0 and a 150 watt heat lamp.
Get a digital probe thermometer from Petco or PetSmart- temps need to be 105-110 for a baby extremely important- uvb is a T 8 or T 5 extremely important distance and placement is crucial

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Get a digital probe thermometer from Petco or PetSmart- temps need to be 105-110 for a baby extremely important- uvb is a T 8 or T 5 extremely important distance and placement is crucial
How do I know the proper distance for the heat lamp? She's on a hammock for another week or two

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do I know the proper distance for the heat lamp? She's on a hammock for another week or two
That probe is going to tell you -- take the probe place it on the spot where she sits to bask wait 10 min get the temp -- you want it 105-110 NO hotter -- now UVB is it a tube or coil--- ? I need to know what your using so we can place it properly in the tank --- this two things I am asking about are extremely important -- these two things control the overall health and behavior of the dragon ---- so if shes acting aggressive or lethargic it can be due to the heat in the tank and your UVB being incorrect --- if you can look on the bulb or take a pic of it and let me know what your using

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hu well the staying up basking seems normal to me. My dragon does get stress marks at least 2 times a day in his Tank but most of the time it’s just because he wants for food.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Like Sadie recommended get a probe to determine temperatures if you can. I discovered right after I got my guy (and peeps here told me to get a probe) that a 150 w basking bulb was too much. Basking temps were too high and he was trying to bask and be all happy, but it was too hot for him, which was stressing him out. I down graded to a 100 w and he's doing great now. Funny how that one little thing can make such a difference.

150 w might be ok if your basking spot is lower and your beardie smaller. Only way to determine is via a good temp reader.

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
That probe is going to tell you -- take the probe place it on the spot where she sits to bask wait 10 min get the temp -- you want it 105-110 NO hotter -- now UVB is it a tube or coil--- ? I need to know what your using so we can place it properly in the tank --- this two things I am asking about are extremely important -- these two things control the overall health and behavior of the dragon ---- so if shes acting aggressive or lethargic it can be due to the heat in the tank and your UVB being incorrect --- if you can look on the bulb or take a pic of it and let me know what your using

Like Sadie recommended get a probe to determine temperatures if you can. I discovered right after I got my guy (and peeps here told me to get a probe) that a 150 w basking bulb was too much. Basking temps were too high and he was trying to bask and be all happy, but it was too hot for him, which was stressing him out. I down graded to a 100 w and he's doing great now. Funny how that one little thing can make such a difference.

150 w might be ok if your basking spot is lower and your beardie smaller. Only way to determine is via a good temp reader.
Thank you so much for the help, I just ordered a temp gun and it should come in soon!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for the help, I just ordered a temp gun and it should come in soon!!
A temp gun is good but sometimes the materials basking decor is make out of throws them off - please invest in a digital probe as well especially for hammocks -- if your using a hammock that temp gun is not going to give your the correct temp

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I also have this one: https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-combometer-digital/dp/191169?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Exo Terra&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIheSy1cKZ7wIVA6_ICh0xbwyGEAQYAyABEgJkovD_BwE so I can check his humidity. I find I only use this one during the summer when humidity starts going through the roof here. It's more expensive, but if you're in a humid climate you might want to consider spending a bit more for a combo. I'd already gotten the first one, then bought this one.
What should their humidity be normally?

Latest posts