• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie hasn’t pooped since I brought him home

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey y’all, I already posted in this thread once about a behavior that worried me. Well, that one’s been resolved, but like any new parent I’m still worried about this one thing. My beardie has been eating crickets dusted in calcium and kale. He’s been eating pretty well for having been home for only 5 days now, but he hasn’t pooped. I’ve read everywhere that a beardie in a new home might not poop for sometimes over a week, but since he’s been eating I don’t want to cause constipation or worse. I’ve gotten him to drink water, he’s been misted, but still no poop. He doesn’t seem to be feeling sick, he’s running after the crickets, and he’s alert to his surroundings, but I’m worried about feeding him when he hasn’t gone #2. I’ve changed my lights since I got him per suggestion on the last thread I posted, so he’s been basking fine. I know baths are supposed to help them go, but since I got him 5 days ago I’m not sure I’m able to lift him and place him in some water. I’m hand feeding and he seems to be warming up to me but I don’t think it’s enough where I can handle him yet and even though he hasn’t pooped, I don’t want to ruin my relationship with him already. Should I wait it out since it’s only been a few days and he’s probably still nervous in a new home or is there a way for me to help him poop without handling him too soon?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey y’all, I already posted in this thread once about a behavior that worried me. Well, that one’s been resolved, but like any new parent I’m still worried about this one thing. My beardie has been eating crickets dusted in calcium and kale. He’s been eating pretty well for having been home for only 5 days now, but he hasn’t pooped. I’ve read everywhere that a beardie in a new home might not poop for sometimes over a week, but since he’s been eating I don’t want to cause constipation or worse. I’ve gotten him to drink water, he’s been misted, but still no poop. He doesn’t seem to be feeling sick, he’s running after the crickets, and he’s alert to his surroundings, but I’m worried about feeding him when he hasn’t gone #2. I’ve changed my lights since I got him per suggestion on the last thread I posted, so he’s been basking fine. I know baths are supposed to help them go, but since I got him 5 days ago I’m not sure I’m able to lift him and place him in some water. I’m hand feeding and he seems to be warming up to me but I don’t think it’s enough where I can handle him yet and even though he hasn’t pooped, I don’t want to ruin my relationship with him already. Should I wait it out since it’s only been a few days and he’s probably still nervous in a new home or is there a way for me to help him poop without handling him too soon?
Make sure your not feeding insects bigger than the space between his eyes length wise- if all your lighting is good and correct he will go- if your concerned feed him some plain canned pumpkin- feed till he poops- make sure your handling him everyday a little so he gets used to you

Latest posts