• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Gram

Capngram

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I am currently gramma to about an 8 month old beardie, Captain. We’ve been babysitting since late June while my son finishes an internship.

Everything was going fine - temps from 95-105, 2 lights, low humidity, 40 gal tank - my son set everything up. Poops were good, eating was good. She’s gone thru a shed. Diet of mostly black fly larvae and salad of greens with either butternut squash or sweet potato, and a blueberry somedays.

We occasionally gave her hornworms. I didn’t realize they shouldn’t be bigger than the space between her eyes and these were a good 2-2.5 inches long, but she munched them down without an issue. She’s been checked for coccidia before she came to us.

A little over threee weeks ago she wasn’t eating her worms and started hanging out in her cave quite a bit. We fed her a horn worm, she munched it down - no issues. Then she didn’t eat much for a week and didn’t poop at all. We took her to the vet who said she seemed fine, but extracted a considerable amount of poo. The urates were rock hard and she said there was no way to know if Captain would have eventually passed it on her own. The poo behind it was normal and there was nothing undigested in it.

Captain pooped normally a couple of days later. Since then she quit eating again. We fed her a horn worm again. She chomped it up fine. She has eaten a few worms since then but hangs in her cave almost all the time unless I take her out. But no Pooh. My son thinks maybe she’s beginning brumating (it’s mid August) or she’s just bored with worms. I’m just concerned because she’s eaten a few worms here and there, but it’s been a little over a week and no Pooh again.

I feel like if the hornworm were a problem, we’d have seen some undigested bits in the Pooh the vet extracted or there would have been very little Pooh.

Environmentally, we did get a new puppy but that was only a week ago and she hasn’t poohed for longer.

I’m debating on taking her to the vet again, but not knowing much about beardies, I’m here soliciting some thoughts, experience and advice from you all.

Attachments

• 37D8674B-B333-4985-9640-5B336FC3FE64.jpeg
    37D8674B-B333-4985-9640-5B336FC3FE64.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I am currently gramma to about an 8 month old beardie, Captain. We’ve been babysitting since late June while my son finishes an internship.

Everything was going fine - temps from 95-105, 2 lights, low humidity, 40 gal tank - my son set everything up. Poops were good, eating was good. She’s gone thru a shed. Diet of mostly black fly larvae and salad of greens with either butternut squash or sweet potato, and a blueberry somedays.

We occasionally gave her hornworms. I didn’t realize they shouldn’t be bigger than the space between her eyes and these were a good 2-2.5 inches long, but she munched them down without an issue. She’s been checked for coccidia before she came to us.

A little over threee weeks ago she wasn’t eating her worms and started hanging out in her cave quite a bit. We fed her a horn worm, she munched it down - no issues. Then she didn’t eat much for a week and didn’t poop at all. We took her to the vet who said she seemed fine, but extracted a considerable amount of poo. The urates were rock hard and she said there was no way to know if Captain would have eventually passed it on her own. The poo behind it was normal and there was nothing undigested in it.

Captain pooped normally a couple of days later. Since then she quit eating again. We fed her a horn worm again. She chomped it up fine. She has eaten a few worms since then but hangs in her cave almost all the time unless I take her out. But no Pooh. My son thinks maybe she’s beginning brumating (it’s mid August) or she’s just bored with worms. I’m just concerned because she’s eaten a few worms here and there, but it’s been a little over a week and no Pooh again.

I feel like if the hornworm were a problem, we’d have seen some undigested bits in the Pooh the vet extracted or there would have been very little Pooh.

Environmentally, we did get a new puppy but that was only a week ago and she hasn’t poohed for longer.

I’m debating on taking her to the vet again, but not knowing much about beardies, I’m here soliciting some thoughts, experience and advice from you all.
Please NO more ENEMAS --- they are so dangerous -- they can easily paralyze a dragon -- the hornworms are a good water hydration worm - and very soft - I dont think the horn worm has anything to do w/ her not pooping - if shes not eating much shes not going to poop much out - make sure the temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where she sits to bask they should be 95-100-- the UVB should be a long tube fixture NO COILS- if dragons are sick they will hide the illness for as long as they can -- the placement for the UVB is crucial --- the two things I just mentioned the lighting in the tank is the TWO MOST important things in the tank -- they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- if the lighting is incorrect it may take awhile for them to start showing signs of illness --- please tell me what the UVB is your using and how old is the bulb? Thats another thing UVB's wear out loose their strength --- dogs and cats will stress dragons out I recommend you keep the puppy away from her out of the room shes in -- as far as the poop being rock hard it should be moist white and formed --- horn worms will give that poop -- keep her hydrated -- rinsing salads before serving will do that but we must first figure out why shes not eating --- so the lighting in the tank and basking temps need to be correct ---- please tell me what the UVB is brand and bulb please and how old?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Im seeing alot of calcium in the enclosure? U said the urate was hard? Thats bad, he’s getting poisoned from the vitamins he’s getting, stop all vitamins for the time being (its a grown dragon it wont hurt to go a week no vitamins) please picture all that he gets and how often, vitamins can expire so if they’re original chuck them and get all new, these are what my girl gets, ive never tried the repti boost but it may help with the food issue.

Attachments

• 7DD3F06A-ADCE-4A28-81E8-1D2FC7A99298.jpeg
    7DD3F06A-ADCE-4A28-81E8-1D2FC7A99298.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • F0FFF952-512A-4BD2-827E-B78F4DFAD910.jpeg
    F0FFF952-512A-4BD2-827E-B78F4DFAD910.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 7

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Also if that picture is up to date, she could be starting to show signs of sexual maturity, usually around 9-12 months they mature, she’s definitely fat enough to go without food for a couple days so don’t worry.

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon

Do you bath her?
I also am pretty new to dragons, always was worried i was doing something wrong,
But Rusty only goes to bathroom in my shower,, it's actually great
But at first i didnt know this, went through some tuff no eating, days now every couple days, nice warm not steamy shower, he places himself under the running water and usually within first few minutes he done,, make sure he has room to get out of the water blast i point it at wall like waterfall ❤️

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon

She looks quite lg for a 40 gallon tank, maybe an upgrade, or be sure she gets out for exercise,.

Capngram

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please NO more ENEMAS --- they are so dangerous -- they can easily paralyze a dragon -- the hornworms are a good water hydration worm - and very soft - I dont think the horn worm has anything to do w/ her not pooping - if shes not eating much shes not going to poop much out - make sure the temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where she sits to bask they should be 95-100-- the UVB should be a long tube fixture NO COILS- if dragons are sick they will hide the illness for as long as they can -- the placement for the UVB is crucial --- the two things I just mentioned the lighting in the tank is the TWO MOST important things in the tank -- they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- if the lighting is incorrect it may take awhile for them to start showing signs of illness --- please tell me what the UVB is your using and how old is the bulb? Thats another thing UVB's wear out loose their strength --- dogs and cats will stress dragons out I recommend you keep the puppy away from her out of the room shes in -- as far as the poop being rock hard it should be moist white and formed --- horn worms will give that poop -- keep her hydrated -- rinsing salads before serving will do that but we must first figure out why shes not eating --- so the lighting in the tank and basking temps need to be correct ---- please tell me what the UVB is brand and bulb please and how old?
Thank you for your input!

Lights are good. The are repti lights and we’re both just replaced fairly recently. 10 on the uvb and 100w on the uva. I took her out first thing this morning after my run (so I was very warm) and held her awhile. She was cold, but the temp doesn’t get below 70 at night. Once I put her back in the tank she stayed out. I gave her a little olive oil and pumpkin. Then she ate a few larvae and a water drop - I just need the poops! The pup didn’t come til Friday so it may be stressing her some, but I don’t think it’s the root cause. I think I’m going to try to put a heating pad under her cave tonight and I’ve bumped the basking spot up to about 100.

Abbyroad52779

Bearded Dragon Egg

It really sounds like brumation to me, I could be completely wrong though. This article might be helpful, it sounded like your grand dragon-love it by the way -has a lot of the signs. Good luck to you!

Capngram

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im seeing alot of calcium in the enclosure? U said the urate was hard? Thats bad, he’s getting poisoned from the vitamins he’s getting, stop all vitamins for the time being (its a grown dragon it wont hurt to go a week no vitamins) please picture all that he gets and how often, vitamins can expire so if they’re original chuck them and get all new, these are what my girl gets, ive never tried the repti boost but it may help with the food issue.
Thank you for the info! I didn’t know they could be getting too much calcium. I did get her to poop finally after a very long bath and massage. I’ll back off on the calcium too.

Capngram

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the info! I didn’t know they could be getting too much calcium. I did get her to poop finally after a very long bath and massage. I’ll back off on the calcium too.
She was getting calcium w D sprinkled on her salad and a once a week multi on her larvae. There were some calcium sprinkles here and there in her cage. I made her salad without and cleaned up the sprinkles.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She was getting calcium w D sprinkled on her salad and a once a week multi on her larvae. There were some calcium sprinkles here and there in her cage. I made her salad without and cleaned up the sprinkles.
A good rule is to dust bugs every other feeding, most people do it differently, but as long as he’s getting multivitamin once a week and calcium so often he’ll be okay, he looks full grown so MBD isnt as an issue as it would be with a baby dragon, if his urate is chalky or hard thats a sign of to much calcium/vitamins.

Latest posts