• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie eating sand???

Natty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi i have a 3 - 4 month old beardie witch i have had for 4 - 5 days now he was eating well meal worms and crickets i no longer give mealworms as of what i have read, yesterday he didnt touch a thing i offer him vegies and fruit everyday he never touched them i gave him crickets he never touched them ethier.... This Morning i caught him eating sand???? he has real fine sand as his substance with him eating sand is this a risk for impaction etc??? since hes so young?? could this be the reason why he didnt eat cause hes filled up on sand.... they remind me of kids really they will put anything in there mouths lol....

Here are some photos of his setup and him....
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e207/NatashaCarno/Picture-2.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e207/NatashaCarno/Picture002.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e207/NatashaCarno/Picture001-1.jpg

His dad is a red phrase mum a normal it is the sibling of Dragonlover1's and yes shes my sister shh dont tell anyone tho :p

Natty
()()
(><)
(")(")

Natty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i forgot to meantion since i have had him i have not seen any stools (Pooh)???

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
couple of things here

compact uv lights are bad. you need to do a tube flourescent the reptisun 10.0 is suggested
with a tank your size you could also go with a MVB the one i suggest is the TREX MVB great bulb and produces both UV and heat.
you need to get rid of that red bulb soon also that is not good for beardie health.

for babies sand is a bad idea because they lick everything. sand is not a good substrate even for adults because it holds bacteria from their feces. i suggest getting a non-particle substrat such as non-adhesive shelf liner or tile. Sand can be used with adults but it has to be cleaned and sifted playsand. Though with sand you have to change it out often due to the bacteria problem previously stated. Also you are using stick on thermometers which are inaccurate. you need to get a probe therm or a temp gun at tempgun.com

pretty much the same stuff i told you sister

you need to get rid of that compact fourescent soon it is no good at all. you need to use either a tube flourescent that she can ge within 8 inches of (aka you will have to raise your basking area up to the bulb by creating a higher level) or use the TREX mvb as it produces UV up to 24 inches or more away.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Natty, I was just checking to see if you had any questions with Brian's suggestions. All are excellent and should be considered for your beardie's health.

Latest posts