• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!
I am very new to keeping bearded dragons. Although I never thought I'd have one, a friend of mine is no longer able to care for him, so I have adopted him. He is approx. 4 year old male.
I live in Europe, and temperatures started dropping, and I assume my beardie is going into brumation.
So essentially, he ate a few weeks ago, and a few days ago (Since I noticed him being active I thought he would be out of brumation for a bit and offered some mealworms with vitamin and Ca powder, but the next day he was back to snoozing in his cave). I am concerned about that food becoming rotten and hurting my dragon. He is currently kept on coco fiber soil (I am planning to switch it to topsoil/sand soon). Since I am an active student I am not home pretty much all day, and I failed to find any traces of poop anywhere for weeks now.

I am looking for advice on what to do? He seems to be into brumation already, so how do I get him to pass the food?

Last time I checked his weight, it was 378. I've yet to catch him to weigh him again though. He does tend to come out a little bit during the day, just slightly to soak up some heat since there is a ceramic heat emitter right above his cave (the basking spot).

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also is it too late to go to the vet to check for parasites? Since I can't really bring in a fecal example.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also is it too late to go to the vet to check for parasites? Since I can't really bring in a fecal example.
Fecals need to be taken in 24 hr sample- food does not rot in stomachs- get him out every 10 days to 2 weeks for water - try bathing him and see if he will go poop then --- next keep a weight chart on him -- you are using a clear soild white bright basking bulb correct? Not just a heat emitter --

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Fecals need to be taken in 24 hr sample- food does not rot in stomachs- get him out every 10 days to 2 weeks for water - try bathing him and see if he will go poop then --- next keep a weight chart on him -- you are using a clear soild white bright basking bulb correct? Not just a heat emitter --
I have a ceramic heat emitter, an LED and a coiled UV bulb (I know coiled bulbs are not the best, but I did not purchase this one so after it dies I'll invest in something better)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a ceramic heat emitter, an LED and a coiled UV bulb (I know coiled bulbs are not the best, but I did not purchase this one so after it dies I'll invest in something better)
The uvb is causing all kinds of illnesses you are not aware of- they are killers of dragons- please replace NOW if you want your dragon to live- I can post 3 good uvb's for you - you also want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- examples are flukers basking - exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen- make sure you have 2 digital probe thermometers for getting accurate surface basking temps

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
The uvb is causing all kinds of illnesses you are not aware of- they are killers of dragons- please replace NOW if you want your dragon to live- I can post 3 good uvb's for you - you also want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- examples are flukers basking - exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen- make sure you have 2 digital probe thermometers for getting accurate surface basking temps
Why do I need a bright basking bulb? Whats wrong with the emitter? If you could link some examples that would be awesome.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Why do I need a bright basking bulb? Whats wrong with the emitter? If you could link some examples that would be awesome.
Heat emitters do not get surface basking temps to what they need to be and do not provide UVA --- I have a had lot of dragons die because they never had the correct basking bulb --- w/ all this being off your dragon is probably not in good health and for him to be only 378 grams hes not real heavy -- you want more weight on him going into brumation --- my guess hes not brumating but sick --- heat emitters are great for winter if your tank is dropping below 65 at night -- ambient temps- surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you need to get the basking bulb and a good UVB as soon as possible -- basking bulbs are trial and error and you will need that digital probe to figure out what wattage you need so when you get them I would start w/ a 100 watt depending on the size of your tank -- 120 gallon tanks usually need 150 watt
https://www.petmountain.com/product/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-lamp
No daytime bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulbs and NO colored bulbs --
do you want the links for the UVB's?

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Heat emitters do not get surface basking temps to what they need to be and do not provide UVA --- I have a had lot of dragons die because they never had the correct basking bulb --- w/ all this being off your dragon is probably not in good health and for him to be only 378 grams hes not real heavy -- you want more weight on him going into brumation --- my guess hes not brumating but sick --- heat emitters are great for winter if your tank is dropping below 65 at night -- ambient temps- surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you need to get the basking bulb and a good UVB as soon as possible -- basking bulbs are trial and error and you will need that digital probe to figure out what wattage you need so when you get them I would start w/ a 100 watt depending on the size of your tank -- 120 gallon tanks usually need 150 watt
Yes please!
I know that ceramic emitters give out IR-C, which is essentially the reflected heat from the sun. I know it isn't the best, but I haven't bought this emitter. I have a thermostat and a probe, and the basking spot gets up to 41.5°C (the optimal temperature for basking).
I've heard that deep heat projectors are good too. What are your thoughts?
And why do you say that food won't rot in their stomachs? If the metabolism lowers, they wont digest the food in their gut and it can rot and release gasses.
From what I've heard UVA is good for energizing the animal but it's not essential for survival. Although I'd want to give my beardie the best life I was planning to buy a heat lamp with UVA after i get my scholarship money (im kinda broke atm) and when ill be redesigning the enclosure (its still in the sad original state i got it in).

The information on heating and lighting is confusing and oftentimes conflicting. I am interested to learn about it though. And how long does a coiled uvb lamp last? Arent those supposed to be changed yearly?

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg

What do you think about this one- https://reptiplanet.pet/portfolio-items/repti-planet-daylight-basking/

Its the one i have available in a pet shop near me. I was thinking about the 150w since the terrarium is quite big and the only other option is 50w

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What do you think about this one- https://reptiplanet.pet/portfolio-items/repti-planet-daylight-basking/

Its the one i have available in a pet shop near me. I was thinking about the 150w since the terrarium is quite big and the only other option is 50w
I cant bring the link up ---- daylight bulbs are not good if its got a coating on it called
Neodymium bulbs

the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by
cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best Look for this coating on the box
where are you located? I would look on line for the basking bulbs that I posted or something similar --

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
I cant bring the link up ---- daylight bulbs are not good if its got a coating on it called
Neodymium bulbs

the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by
cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best Look for this coating on the box
where are you located? I would look on line for the basking bulbs that I posted or something similar --
I live in Croatia, in the area around Zagreb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I live in Croatia, in the area around Zagreb
Can you get orders off of Amazon? If so go there and look for the basking bulb-- but you need one as soon as possible-- I am going to post a link for swell reptiles I dont know if they ship to Croatia -- https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/
I dont know where this place is and I dont know if they ship to Croatia but this is the UVB you want
https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-reptile-prot5-uvb-kit
https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-d3-uv-basking-lamp
https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-reptile-halogen-basking-spot-lamp you would want a Par 38

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you get orders off of Amazon? If so go there and look for the basking bulb-- but you need one as soon as possible-- I am going to post a link for swell reptiles I dont know if they ship to Croatia -- https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/
I dont know where this place is and I dont know if they ship to Croatia but this is the UVB you want
https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-reptile-prot5-uvb-kit
https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-d3-uv-basking-lamp
https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-reptile-halogen-basking-spot-lamp you would want a Par 38
I cannot currently afford a better uvb but I will get a basking lamp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cannot currently afford a better uvb but I will get a basking lamp
Get him outside if you can -- the sun is going to provide the UVB he needs but you must get the UVB as soon as possible--- is it winter there or summer? Did you try the websites I posted for you for the bulbs and UVB

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get him outside if you can -- the sun is going to provide the UVB he needs but you must get the UVB as soon as possible--- is it winter there or summer? Did you try the websites I posted for you for the bulbs and UVB
It is currently winter here. Im a bit poor right now but I'm going to try and give him warm baths whenever I can so he may pass his bowel.
Since I weighted him last time he lost 9g, in a few weeks. His belly seems bloated and he didnt poop for a few weeks. He seems to want to brumate but I feel that if I let him he wont wake up.

Ill be getting a basking bulb that you recommended, as well as an arcadia t5 12% uvb tube. I currently cant afford this so Ill have to wait to get some money in my pocket.

I wouldn't say he is lethargic though. When i gave him a warm bath yesterday he was quite energetic afterwards. Im not good at judging sickness though as I havent had him for long.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is currently winter here. Im a bit poor right now but I'm going to try and give him warm baths whenever I can so he may pass his bowel.
Since I weighted him last time he lost 9g, in a few weeks. His belly seems bloated and he didnt poop for a few weeks. He seems to want to brumate but I feel that if I let him he wont wake up.

Ill be getting a basking bulb that you recommended, as well as an arcadia t5 12% uvb tube. I currently cant afford this so Ill have to wait to get some money in my pocket.

I wouldn't say he is lethargic though. When i gave him a warm bath yesterday he was quite energetic afterwards. Im not good at judging sickness though as I havent had him for long.
So the UVB you are planning to get the fixture w/ the 12% bulb? Is that thru one of the websites I posted or did you find it locally ? I cant tell you if he is actually trying to brumate or not until the lighting is corrected-- temps being off for surface basking and no bulb giving the UVA he needs plus NO UVB is going to simulate brumation behavior but w/ out this being on par hes getting sick and will simulate brumation behavior --- dragons will hide their illness it is instinct --- please get the UVB as soon as possible- w/ it being winter time he needs this badly -- keep an eye on his weight -- you dont want him dropping weight fast or a lot-- the bloating is more than likely being caused by incorrect surface basking temps-- this is what starts digestion and the UVB is what helps him absorb the calcium he gets --- the UVB will also prevent other illnesses and ward off MBD

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
So the UVB you are planning to get the fixture w/ the 12% bulb? Is that thru one of the websites I posted or did you find it locally ? I cant tell you if he is actually trying to brumate or not until the lighting is corrected-- temps being off for surface basking and no bulb giving the UVA he needs plus NO UVB is going to simulate brumation behavior but w/ out this being on par hes getting sick and will simulate brumation behavior --- dragons will hide their illness it is instinct --- please get the UVB as soon as possible- w/ it being winter time he needs this badly -- keep an eye on his weight -- you dont want him dropping weight fast or a lot-- the bloating is more than likely being caused by incorrect surface basking temps-- this is what starts digestion and the UVB is what helps him absorb the calcium he gets --- the UVB will also prevent other illnesses and ward off MBD
I understand. I'll be doing that. The CHE only heats up a small surface area to high temperatures, but the moment you move from the spot it feels like much colder, and the ambient temp isn't going up.

I'll get the heat bulb tomorrow. I'll keep this thread posted.

Also, just to check if I'm right with this. For supplements, I use arcadia earth pro-a and pure calcium powder without d3. Is this good?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I understand. I'll be doing that. The CHE only heats up a small surface area to high temperatures, but the moment you move from the spot it feels like much colder, and the ambient temp isn't going up.

I'll get the heat bulb tomorrow. I'll keep this thread posted.

Also, just to check if I'm right with this. For supplements, I use arcadia earth pro-a and pure calcium powder without d3. Is this good?
With the UVB your getting you only need to feed the calcium w/ out D3 on his insects 2-3 times per week -- but given you have no UVB hes not going to be able to absorb that calcium -- I would give w/ D3 one of those days when you get the UVB installed --- is he good about eating salads? If he is then you wouldnt need to give it as often either if not 2 x per week dusted on the insects lightly coated that goes for both the supplements--- make sure you have the digital probe thermometer to get a accurate surface basking temp-- you want 2 of them place the other on the cool side of the tank

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
With the UVB your getting you only need to feed the calcium w/ out D3 on his insects 2-3 times per week -- but given you have no UVB hes not going to be able to absorb that calcium -- I would give w/ D3 one of those days when you get the UVB installed --- is he good about eating salads? If he is then you wouldnt need to give it as often either if not 2 x per week dusted on the insects lightly coated that goes for both the supplements--- make sure you have the digital probe thermometer to get a accurate surface basking temp-- you want 2 of them place the other on the cool side of the tank
Previous owners didn't bother much to teach him to eat salads so he doesn't take them often and usually needs to be hand fed. Bug though, he will eat always

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Previous owners didn't bother much to teach him to eat salads so he doesn't take them often and usually needs to be hand fed. Bug though, he will eat always
I am surprised hes eating at all to be honest--- w/ the surface basking temps and UVB being off you are lucky hes eating-- please dust the insects w/ your vitamins 2 x per week -- he needs the vitamins since hes not eating his salads - let me know when you get the UVB so I can help you place it for the tank - the screen will determine placement and distance

Latest posts