• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie blindness questions

FireSpinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, I have a male bearded dragon that I recently discovered was blind in one eye, and now it looks like he's losing his sight in the other eye. Although he still catches crickets and eats with gusto. There's no droopiness, no lesions, no signs of infection - nothing at all to tip me off as to what is going on - i've inspected him from head to toe. His roommate, a female, is doing awesome. So maybe it's genetic or something? I would love some input, thank you so much!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would take him to the vet for a full check up. Just because there are no visable signs of a problem doesn't mean there isn't something going on.

MelanieT

Hatchling Dragon
I've read that some types of UVB bulbs can cause blindness (Reptiglo). Not sure if anyone has had any experience with this. Good luck!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What makes you say he is blind? Can you see his eyes are cloudy or is it some other evidence? Can you post a picture? Also post of a picture of your lighting set up, as mentioned above sometimes it can be problematic.

Sight can be affected by everything from a vitamin deficiency to poorly mounted lights, so it is important to take your animal to a reptile vet and get it looked at.