• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie biting question

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So my little beardie has now started to open his mouth while being picked up. I think I know why [the height of the tank means I have to be over him] but my question is this... if he bites me will he latch on or draw blood.

Don't get me wrong, he's 100% happy once I get him out of the tank but I hate to scared the little guy on a daily basis. On the other hand I just want to know how strong that little bite actually is.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bernie bit me once. It was an accident. I was waving a collard green piece for him to eat his greens. He mistook my finger for the collard green. I'll be honest, it hurt. He didn't latch on to me. But those little teeth are razor sharp.

In general, beardies do not bite. They are docile creatures. That is one reason why they have been domesticated successfully.

On the other hand, a bearded dragon from the wild bit Steve Erwin in one of his episodes.

I would be surprised if he bit you out of spite for picking him up. Do what you can do to not surprise him with his outing. Rub his chin for a bit before lifting him up and taking him out.

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Success! Last night I went on the net and did the following after some research. Before picking up LS I dipped my hand in the tank for a few seconds, tidy up the pieces of salad of that spilled over, slowly took some carrot shreds, offered them to him by hand, scratched his head, and then lifted him out of the tank without him opening his mouth or hissing.

Couldn't believe he fell asleep on my chest.

Just goes to show you patience is essential with these animals.

Latest posts