• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Bath

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
My beardie is in shedding phase so i gave my beardie a bath to help with the process. He started to balloon up expand his body which he made himself a flotation device that i know this is normal but what caught me by surprised was after i took him out of the bath, he made this puff noise/ sound. I hope its not a R.I. i keep him warm in his enclosure and the bath water was warm too. I also dont keep him out and i towel dry him off and then put him back under the basking heat lamp. Could it be possible that he was just upset? Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. FYI he is not a fan of baths.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It most likely was him just hissing a bit.. what you want to look out for is bubbles coming out his nostrils and excess water in mouth and mucous.. My friends beardie is a little pistil and he hisses at times. Some beardies don't like baths but they get used to them in time. So just keep your eye on him and if he looks like he's not breathing well I would seek a vet.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If he puffed up in the bath, it was probably just the sound he made expelling the air. He should be fine.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
both my beardies luv a bath Diego puffs himself up so he floats just keeping his front legs on the bottom and he always has a gud puff of his beard in the water too. Boris has mastered the art of swimming he doesnt puff himself up he streamlines himself and swims with his face under water its so awsum. the noise cud of bin a hiss but ur beardiebwould have puffed its beard aggressively before hissing. so my guess would be it was just the sound of air releasing wenbthey wet ive heard mine make noise out of thier nose when they wet.
i test the beardies baths the same as i would a babies... with ur elbow if it feel fibe in ur elbow its fine... but beardies do like to be warm so i always top it up once they in.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Update he is fine, he hasn't puffed since that incident :) If they are swimming in the bathtub does that mean they are enjoying it? He seems to be trying to get out unless I'm mistaken it for "need more room" next time ill get a video if i can of him swimming and post it. I usually try to be gentle with him so maybe he doesn't think he will drown. He is around 4/5 months old or so. I just hope im not making him more stressed out, i want him to enjoy his baths and have good hygiene :p

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update he is fine, he hasn't puffed since that incident :) If they are swimming in the bathtub does that mean they are enjoying it? He seems to be trying to get out unless I'm mistaken it for "need more room" next time ill get a video if i can of him swimming and post it. I usually try to be gentle with him so maybe he doesn't think he will drown. He is around 4/5 months old or so. I just hope im not making him more stressed out, i want him to enjoy his baths and have good hygiene :p
At first I don't think they really enjoy bathtime and some never do like it.. However both my adults love bath time now but it took a few times for them to realize they are ok and I'm there.. I have a brand new baby leatherback and he is not sure what to do and skitters around in there.. his bath tonight went well he was pretty brave for a tiny thing.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always think the scratching at the sides of the tub frantically is their way of saying they are done and want out. I think after awhile it stresses them out.

Latest posts