• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie back legs not working?

Cinna

Bearded Dragon Egg
image.jpg

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
How is your little one eating and pooping???? A 55 gal is very hard to get the temps right as it's too high being that it's a fish tank. If he's not pooping, and from the pic he looks normal I'm leaning towards too low of temps and so he's not digesting well, too cool for the GI track to work so he may be getting impacted.. that will lead to pressure pushing on the nerves causing weakness and paralysis..
He should be getting salads every day and with his size he should be getting bugs every day including dusting of calcium..
Now if he's eating and pooping normally I would lean towards a injury from a fall, or some kind of spinal cord injury.
Temps are VERY important for digestion, for proper absorption of Calcium supplements..He should be gapping if the temps are where they should be that means he is thermo regulating his body temp. And since you don't have your IR temp gun yet my bet is he is too cold. when is it to arrive??
It should be arriving soon! He is eating and pooping normally.

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
This sounds exactly like a case of gravis. Do you use sand as a substrate? If so, beardies eat that sand and cannot pass it when they poop. Just get a small dropper and give your baby a small amount of mineral oil. It should work right away(same day). If nothing happens after that first dose, administer a second dose. If that doesn’t do it, you might have to take your lovely baby to the vet. And I strongly suggest you use a different substrate... we use newsprint paper.
Nope! I do not use sand as substrate, I use reptile carpet. He has normal poops frequently :)

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
How is your little one eating and pooping???? A 55 gal is very hard to get the temps right as it's too high being that it's a fish tank. If he's not pooping, and from the pic he looks normal I'm leaning towards too low of temps and so he's not digesting well, too cool for the GI track to work so he may be getting impacted.. that will lead to pressure pushing on the nerves causing weakness and paralysis..
He should be getting salads every day and with his size he should be getting bugs every day including dusting of calcium..
Now if he's eating and pooping normally I would lean towards a injury from a fall, or some kind of spinal cord injury.
Temps are VERY important for digestion, for proper absorption of Calcium supplements..He should be gapping if the temps are where they should be that means he is thermo regulating his body temp. And since you don't have your IR temp gun yet my bet is he is too cold. when is it to arrive??
Thank you so much for your reply! He eats and poops normally :) I give him crickets and salads everyday with a dusting. The gun arrives tomorrow!

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
The MVB bulbs only concentrate your UVB to a particular spot in the tank and don't really cover 1/2 to 2/3. It is possible that he's not getting enough UVB and with the height of the 55g, he's not getting the proper heat either. I would get a separate UVB bulb and heat bulb and I would look into gettin a more proper sized tank for a bearded dragon. When he does get bigger, it's going to be difficult for him to turn around or sit without being curled up in a 55g.
So a 55 gallon is too small for him?

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
The MVB bulbs only concentrate your UVB to a particular spot in the tank and don't really cover 1/2 to 2/3. It is possible that he's not getting enough UVB and with the height of the 55g, he's not getting the proper heat either. I would get a separate UVB bulb and heat bulb and I would look into gettin a more proper sized tank for a bearded dragon. When he does get bigger, it's going to be difficult for him to turn around or sit without being curled up in a 55g.
What size reptile tank do you recommend?

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
what UV bulb and heat bulb do you recommend for his size tank?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
a tank that measures 36x18x18 is the minimum size you want to use. It’s the perfect height to regulate temps and get UVB coverage. I recommend a T5 UVB tube bulb that covers at least 1/2 of the tank. Arcadia 12% is great, as well as Reptisun 10.0. A T5 bulb can be placed on top of the mesh and still give good UVB coverage without blocking too much of the UVB out. I like the Zoomed basking bulbs, I always buy them on sale. You can use a halogen flood light too that you can just get at the hardware store.

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
ahhh thank you so much! I don’t use a lid for his cage, so do you think I can attach the uvb bulb to the back of his tank? Would it still reach him? And, how many watts should I get for his tank to make sure he is getting hot enough?

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
a tank that measures 36x18x18 is the minimum size you want to use. It’s the perfect height to regulate temps and get UVB coverage. I recommend a T5 UVB tube bulb that covers at least 1/2 of the tank. Arcadia 12% is great, as well as Reptisun 10.0. A T5 bulb can be placed on top of the mesh and still give good UVB coverage without blocking too much of the UVB out. I like the Zoomed basking bulbs, I always buy them on sale. You can use a halogen flood light too that you can just get at the hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-...ocphy=9012390&hvtargid=pla-393259367505&psc=1 Do you think this light would be okay?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you don’t have a lid, you can go with a T8 bulb and mount it on the back of the tank all the way up st the top. I do recommend getting a lid though, they are sneaky and will find ways to get out.

As far as the bulb goes, you could try that one. I always had to try a few different wattages before I got it right. It looks like I have a bulb store in my reptile room!

livichi7

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you don’t have a lid, you can go with a T8 bulb and mount it on the back of the tank all the way up st the top. I do recommend getting a lid though, they are sneaky and will find ways to get out.

As far as the bulb goes, you could try that one. I always had to try a few different wattages before I got it right. It looks like I have a bulb store in my reptile room!
Thank you so much for all of your help! I have a lid, I just removed it. Because of the hieght of the cage it helped getting the light all the way down to the bottom. I just ordered the light, the thermometer (i purchased the wrong one :( ) and the reptisun 10 uvb bulb! After removing his log which was blocking the light and taking the screen off, he seems to be doing a little bit better! Thank you so much!!!!!

Donna M Lester

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 18369 View attachment 18370 View attachment 18371 View attachment 18372 View attachment 18373 View attachment 18374 View attachment 18375 Some pics of her illness, beard swelling( her abdomen swelled too). Also her tail and leg wounds initially, and the reference pages. I have a lot more pics if you’d like just message me.

I had an iguana as a new reptile owner and learned quickly that reptiles can burn themselves pretty easily if they are too close to a heat source. I don’t have any idea about your beardie baby’s stomach but the legs look like burn marks from being on or too near her heating elements.