• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie ate his own foot??!!

Jakeelias93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got a new bearded dragon about a month/month and a half ago and he just shed his skin last night. Over night when i woke up, his foot had been mangled and toe fragments were bitten/cut off. he had blood remnants on his mouth and his foot is super bruised. is there any way i can make sure he doesn't die without taking him to the vet??? he deserves to go to the vet but honestly i cant pay 2-400$ on a vet bill for a 80$ lizard. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Pj lizard 2.jpg
    Pj lizard 2.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 101
  • PJ lizard .jpg
    PJ lizard .jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 92

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, do you leave crickets in the cage? it is possible he had some shed on his foot and he may have tried to reomve and in the process mangled his foot.

You can soak the foot in provodone iodine daily for 5 minutes or so. Twice a day would be best. If the area has any open wounds i would suggest using plain polysporin for just a few days and then from then out. Just continue to soak the foot. If the area turns black take him to a vet ASAP.

Unfortunately health care is usually not considered when purchasing a reptile. To put a dollar bill on a life and decide health care cost's is not the right way to think about it. This is now an animal dependent on you to take care of him.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
He still can be the best pet ever. Do what you can Jake, at all cost. I would. Gill has given good advise. next time he sheds, I would bath him 4-5 times a week for about 10-15 minutes at 100 degrees. This will loosen up any dead skin and relieve your BD of the itching sensation from shedding.

Latest posts