• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie ate 2 1/2 small Pansy petals...

desmith0927

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so I know that pansies and the exact genus/species I have are safe for bearded dragons. I live in PA and it’s March and we are just starting our seeds. I got a lot of specific ones for him. He’s a brat about greens and veggies so I’m going to grow him some and see if him eating them while growing will help. I garden every year and do everything organically sans fertilizer or pesticides. Tonight we were at Lowe’s and I decided to grab a pansy basket and hens and chicks, take them home, repot them in new soil, and let them grow for a week or so more to get anything bad out of them to give them the chance to try them before our plants are ready. He was out in the living room and I hadn’t put everything away yet and he ran over to the pansy plant like he KNEW what it was, and ate about half of the petals of one small pansy. I’m assuming these plants are from greenhouses seeing that it’s March and bloomed but idk. Idk what fertilizers or pesticides may have been on it. I’m so worried. Will he be ok? What should I do?

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Per a site I read, yes pansy flower and petals are edible for BD. Wait and monitor your beardie for signs of illness

desmith0927

Bearded Dragon Egg
Per a site I read, yes pansy flower and petals are edible for BD. Wait and monitor your beardie for signs of illness
I’m more worried about possible pesticides that may have been on the plant as I haven’t gotten the chance to purify it of those or anything else harmful. Am I wrong in assuming that greenhouses generally don’t use pesticides? The plant is in full bloom in March so that’d almost have to be how it was grown. He does seem fine. He’s sleeping peacefully right now in my bed so I can watch him, but definitely opening his eye to side eye me every time I lift his blankey to check on him. I’m wondering what symptoms of pesticide exposure are. Ive Looked and haven’t really been able to find much. Which is why I posted here. I’m just so worried :-/

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I’m more worried about possible pesticides that may have been on the plant as I haven’t gotten the chance to purify it of those or anything else harmful. Am I wrong in assuming that greenhouses generally don’t use pesticides? The plant is in full bloom in March so that’d almost have to be how it was grown. He does seem fine. He’s sleeping peacefully right now in my bed so I can watch him, but definitely opening his eye to side eye me every time I lift his blankey to check on him. I’m wondering what symptoms of pesticide exposure are. Ive Looked and haven’t really been able to find much. Which is why I posted here. I’m just so worried :-/
Dont worry so much, with how they water plants nowadays im certain they’ve been rinsed many of times, unfortunately there are probably some still on the plant, but not at the levels thatd ud need to worry about, we unknowingly eat pesticides all day long (although we are alot larger) we really dont know what symptoms to look for(most pesticides attack different incects , some for ground dwelling bugs/flyers , for hard bodied bugs/soft bodied bugs, etc. most pesticides that are made today are pretty bad... they attack the (“nervous system”)(breathing) the good news is (most) bugs dont breath though their mouths they breath through holes that run down their bodies (meaning* when farmers go to spray bug killer, it’s really just the initial cloud that kills the bugs , alot fewer bugs die from eating the coated plants, and a week going by the poisen is probably at such low levels that its not killing much, please don’t worry all your hair out, he’s probably gonna be fine, if its been more than 6 hours and hes still acting the same then he’s definitely gonna have nill to no symptoms, if he does start to act any differently at all , lethargy, cant keep his eyes open, labored breathing, loss of mobility, id get him a vet asap, but really i think he’ll be fine, ive heard of beardies eating all kinds of bad things so don’t worry till you have to :)

Latest posts