• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie apparently blind after operation ?

Tim F

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this...

Our bearded dragon "Specs" has had a lump growing on their lower jaw for a while, so they went in for an operation to remove it on Friday (23rd). The operation seemed to go well, though they apparently needed a slightly higher dose of anaesthetic to put them under. They were intubated during the operation, and we retrieved him from the vet on Friday evening.

They were, not surprisingly, very sluggish post op, so we put them back into their tank and left them overnight. They were still sluggish on Saturday, with a tendency to roll their head to one side - though this might simply have been to raise the side of the jaw that had been cut off the ground.

We took them back to the vet for a checkup on Saturday and Sunday (yesterday), and yesterday we were given an Oralade RI supplement which we've been feeding them 1ml an hour for about 10 hours yesterday. He's moving under his own steam, but not much - though he wasn't an active beardie to begin with !

Now to the main point. Ever since we got him back after the op, his eyes have seem fixed. We've seem him blink on occasion, and his eyes are open, but they aren't tracking movement or light changes, regardless of how close we make the movement.

We were wondering if anyone else had experienced this - are they still zonked after the anaesthesia, could they have developed blindness of some description during the operation, and is it possibly temporary or more long lasting ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as information is in short supply.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this...

Our bearded dragon "Specs" has had a lump growing on their lower jaw for a while, so they went in for an operation to remove it on Friday (23rd). The operation seemed to go well, though they apparently needed a slightly higher dose of anaesthetic to put them under. They were intubated during the operation, and we retrieved him from the vet on Friday evening.

They were, not surprisingly, very sluggish post op, so we put them back into their tank and left them overnight. They were still sluggish on Saturday, with a tendency to roll their head to one side - though this might simply have been to raise the side of the jaw that had been cut off the ground.

We took them back to the vet for a checkup on Saturday and Sunday (yesterday), and yesterday we were given an Oralade RI supplement which we've been feeding them 1ml an hour for about 10 hours yesterday. He's moving under his own steam, but not much - though he wasn't an active beardie to begin with !

Now to the main point. Ever since we got him back after the op, his eyes have seem fixed. We've seem him blink on occasion, and his eyes are open, but they aren't tracking movement or light changes, regardless of how close we make the movement.

We were wondering if anyone else had experienced this - are they still zonked after the anaesthesia, could they have developed blindness of some description during the operation, and is it possibly temporary or more long lasting ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as information is in short supply.
I am reaching out to a vet tech on this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I still have not heard back yet -- I have reached out again to her
Hi Tim
she finally got back w/ me and has sent me this response
Sorry I am just now getting to some of these. Busy life right now.
What on earth has happened to this dragon, has the eye sight restored any?
It is possible that they hit a nerve which caused some damage. Is the dragon
eating anything right now?
Tell them to personally email me at:
[email protected]

I would reach out to her -- I hope this helps

Latest posts