• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie adamantly refuses greens, could use some input please

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys,

Sorry for long post ahead, but really appreciate any input!

I've had my beardie a little over 3 years now. For most of his life he has picked at his greens here and there, but has always been really picky and obviously prefers bugs or fruit. After this past winter when he came out of brumation he just decided he completely hates all greens and will no longer eat them at all. Over the past 8 months I've tried collard greens (the ones that used to be his favorite), turnip greens, mustard greens, endive, green/yellow/red pepper, cactus pads, and more and he will absolutely not eat any of it. I sometimes feed him a bug or fruit and quickly sneak some greens in his mouth, but he often spits them out or black beards in anger then refuses to eat anything for half the day if I deceive him in such a way lol.

I have read a lot of advise online and have for the past 2 months tried to "starve him out" and only offer him salads every day. These are beautiful salads I make with nicely chopped veggies, fruit mash sprinkled on top and some bugs tossed in to make it look like its moving and tempt him and even bee pollen sprinkled over. He will have none of it. He will hover and wait for the opportunity to get a bug out but otherwise won't eat at all. He has lost a decent amount of weight the past 2 months I've done this, so I took him to the vet today and explained everything. He had a checkup with perfect bloodwork and all tests in December, and the vet did another saliva test today which was all clear. The vet says some beardies can do okay with just gut loaded bugs and fruit as their main diet as long as it's varied. Our plan for now is to feed him what he wants and fatten him up for a month (giving up on the greens), then return for a blood test to see how his health is without greens. According to my vet, if his bloodwork is good then he will be fine living with a mostly bug and fruit diet (gutloading bugs with greens of coarse).

Anyone else have a beardie that just will not eat greens no matter what? Any input from you guys or tricks I haven't tried that might work? Anyone have a beardie that is living healthy on a low-green diet? Sorry for long message, just want to make sure I'm doing all I can for my little dude. At a certain point I figure eating is better than him starving himself out. He lost like 30 grams in the 2 months I've been trying to get him to accept greens, so I'm worried he has his mind made up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys,

I've had my beardie a little over 3 years now. For most of his life he has picked at his greens here and there, but has always been really picky and obviously prefers bugs or fruit. After this past winter when he came out of brumation he just decided he completely hates all greens and will no longer eat them at all. Over the past 8 months I've tried collard greens (the ones that used to be his favorite), turnip greens, mustard greens, endive, green/yellow/red pepper, cactus pads, and more and he will absolutely not eat any of it. I sometimes feed him a bug or fruit and quickly sneak some greens in his mouth, but he often spits them out or black beards in anger then refuses to eat anything for half the day if I deceive him in such a way lol.

I have read a lot of advise online and have for the past 2 months tried to "starve him out" and only offer him salads every day. These are beautiful salads I make with nicely chopped veggies, fruit mash sprinkled on top and some bugs tossed in to make it look like its moving and tempt him and even bee pollen sprinkled over. He will have none of it. He will hover and wait for the opportunity to get a bug out but otherwise won't eat at all. He has lost a decent amount of weight the past 2 months I've done this, so I took him to the vet today and explained everything. He had a checkup with perfect bloodwork and all tests in December, and the vet did another saliva test today which was all clear. The vet says some beardies can do okay with just gut loaded bugs and fruit as their main diet as long as it's varied. Our plan for now is to feed him what he wants and fatten him up for a month (giving up on the greens), then return for a blood test to see how his health is without greens. According to my vet, if his bloodwork is good then he will be fine living with a mostly bug and fruit diet (gutloading bugs with greens of coarse).

Anyone else have a beardie that just will not eat greens no matter what? Any input from you guys or tricks I haven't tried that might work? Anyone have a beardie that is living healthy on a low-green diet? Sorry for long message, just want to make sure I'm doing all I can for my little dude. At a certain point I figure eating is better than him starving himself out. He lost like 30 grams in the 2 months I've been trying to get him to accept greens, so I'm worried he has his mind made up.
I hear ya-- sounds like you have tried about everything - my oldest one won't eat them either-- I give fresh salads w/ worms on it and he will pick the worms out - every once in awhile he will take a bite or two but for the most part nada- I am worried more so of dehydration - so I make sure I am giving horn worms on the salads often - they are a good hydrating worm plus I am feeding silk worms and roaches- he has just started to eat supers- my other younger one will eat salads but is now starting to slack off as well -- he gets the same worms- all you can do is offer but it's not good when they are losing weight- his UVB is a tube not coil ? And is not expired?

Thomas Woosley

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all, My beardie Zach is the same way. He is now 15 months old and use to eat his salads all the time morning and mid afternoon. I offer fresh daily and change it up too to no avail., so I now gut load my dubias too but still offer up fresh everyday. He is healthy and loves to roam around with me in tow, lol and pretty much stays with me while doing chores around the house. I think he will eat them again when he feels like it. I do bathe him every 3 days and inbetween I spray him down.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all, My beardie Zach is the same way. He is now 15 months old and use to eat his salads all the time morning and mid afternoon. I offer fresh daily and change it up too to no avail., so I now gut load my dubias too but still offer up fresh everyday. He is healthy and loves to roam around with me in tow, lol and pretty much stays with me while doing chores around the house. I think he will eat them again when he feels like it. I do bathe him every 3 days and inbetween I spray him down.

Hey, I realized I never replied to this post months ago, but wanted to update you since your problem sounds similar. I ended up exhausting all options and my beardie decided he'd rather starve than eat greens (literally lost like 50 grams, wasn't good). I ended up taking him to the vet twice, the first time we discussed options and decided to feed him what he will eat then give him a blood test a month later. Vet says while greens are ideal, some dragons can be perfectly healthy without.

Sooo, fed him gut loaded dubias (gut loaded with grains, fish flakes, carrots, arugula, veggies, veggies, veggies lol), horn worms and a variety of fruit for a month. Those things are literally all he will eat, the little butthead haha. He had gained like 20 grams back by his 2nd vet visit and his blood test was perfect. Vet says he can just eat his gut loaded bugs and fruit and we'll check him again in 6 months to be sure.

Long story short, it's worth trying everything from starving them out to tricking them by mixing stuff they like into their salads, but after a while without success, it's worth it to head to the vet for a blood test and wellness check. I truly hope your beardie is easier to get on greens than mine!!!

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

Responding again to actually answer your question! Try mixing in fruit and bugs into his salad, sometimes the movement of the bugs will excite them, then the flavor of fruit will convince them. Also blending some fruit and making a "dressing" for his salad could be worth a shot.

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys,

I mash veg up in food processor and feed him with a syringe it's the only way I can get his fruit and greens him to him. I put the bee pollen powder on after its mashed as the strong smell of it makes them want to it it.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I mash veg up in food processor and feed him with a syringe it's the only way I can get his fruit and greens him to him. I put the bee pollen powder on after its mashed as the strong smell of it makes them want to it it.

Oh boy, another stubborn boy it sounds like haha. Do you push the syringe into his mouth, or just drip it on his nose and let him lick it off? I've considered the syringe method myself, but would rather avoid anything invasive if possible (no hate if that's what you gotta do).

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I had the most stubborn boy of all. Absolutely refused to eat any vege or fruit of any kind, no matter if I added bugs, worms, or dressing. Sigh.

After vet recommended, I started feeding him baby food veges and a little fruit (no additives) from a syringe. Added a little water, some calcium, and once a week his vitamins. Held it up and dribbled some on his nose and he'd lap it right up. That was our routine for the longest time. Then bam, suddenly he's all over his salads. So far, I haven't found any of the approved veges he won't eat. I actually still give him baby food fruit daily (so he'll get his calcium) as a treat. He absoutely refuses to eat dusted bugs, and will push most of the veges I dust out or eat around them.

He's still a little picky on the fruit, but I'm ok with that. lol And, he won't eat a blueberry. I've heard they love them. I've got a stubborn one for sure.

Latest posts