• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie acting strange, deathwish? Jumping

ninjadewd

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, my Bearded Dragon "Fenix" is about 13 inches long and I don't know how old he is. But It is not uncommon for me to rest him on my forearm and carry him out to my living room for a few moments before bringing him back into my room and letting him run around the play area I have set up for him. This time however, While walking with him on my forearm, he leaped off my arm about 3 feet away from me, by sheer luck I reached out and grabbed him out of the air before he fell to his death. I quickly ran to my room and set him down and examined him to make sure he wasn't hurt. He seemed fine, but for some reason he was moving much faster than usual, jumping from pillow to pillow and running around my bed at the speed of light. Moments later my girlfriend opened my door and it scared him and he ran to the side of my bed and slid down to the floor. I put him back in his terrarium, and he began running around again and looking around frantically. He never puffed up, and he isn't darkening so he must not be sick. One day later I picked him up to examine him again and he had a lot of very light stress marks. I changed the background on his tank and everything so he couldn't see his reflection. Any idea what could cause this or what it means?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like dragon shenanigans. They have bad depth perception so it's common for them to jump from great heights and not think twice. My boy would just walk right off the table because he didn't realize there was a drop off. Sounds like he was just excited to be out and exploring. My boy also spent most of his time running around in his tank because he just wanted out, he wasn't mad or anything just wanted to play. Now he's almost 4 and he has finally calmed down.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've had a couple of kids who LOVED to jump! usually from one object across a small(ish) space to another, but - like Patsy said - their depth perception is really bad (eyes on the sides of the head don't focus together - their peripheral vision is awesome though) 2 of my males have jumped out of their tank - 4 feet off the ground - when they've seen my female out (and they're not!) scares me every time. Which is not to say that nothing will ever happen ---

Latest posts