• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Open Sore

cboerstler

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 3 1/2 year old bearded dragon has a large lesion on his lower right jaw line. There was a dark piece of skin initially and I was soaking him and it came off and exposed this open wound.

1. Is it yellow fungus? Is it a sarcoma?
2. How best to treat?

All input appreciated greatly.

Attachments

• 20231021_200259.jpg
    20231021_200259.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My 3 1/2 year old bearded dragon has a large lesion on his lower right jaw line. There was a dark piece of skin initially and I was soaking him and it came off and exposed this open wound.

1. Is it yellow fungus? Is it a sarcoma?
2. How best to treat?

All input appreciated greatly.
I cant tell what that is -- please get some raw unfiltered honey on it for now --- NO crickets in the tank if your feeding them- I am going to have some others take a look at this see what they advise - in the mean time are you using a heat pad in the tank - what are your surface basking temps and how are you getting them? What is the basking decor piece your using - and your UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture?

cboerstler

Bearded Dragon Egg
I cant tell what that is -- please get some raw unfiltered honey on it for now --- NO crickets in the tank if your feeding them- I am going to have some others take a look at this see what they advise - in the mean time are you using a heat pad in the tank - what are your surface basking temps and how are you getting them? What is the basking decor piece your using - and your UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture?
I use a 100watt basking and 100watt night bulb. UVB is tube. Basking decor is wood branches (from pet store). He eats good and is active. He does have difficulty shedding at times.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use a 100watt basking and 100watt night bulb. UVB is tube. Basking decor is wood branches (from pet store). He eats good and is active. He does have difficulty shedding at times.
Brand name of the UVB and the bulb is a T 5 or a T 8 look on the bulb it will tell you - how old is the bulb and where is it placed? In the tank or top of screen - this makes a difference - 100 watt night bulb is colored? If it is take it out-- No colored bulbs at all No off white or yellowish bulbs No daytime bulbs they will cause eye issues - if you need heat at night please get a Ceramic Heat Emitter - temps in the tank should be 65-75 ambient at night - surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - humidity helps w/ shedding - what is the humidity in the tank and how are you getting the reading? If should be w/ a digital probe hygrometer not a combo one placed on the back center wall of your tank - 40-50% is optimal nothing under 20 or over 70% -- I have not heard back from the person I reached out to -- I am going to reach out to Tracie as well on here

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Looks like scale rot of some form, id suggest a vet if you can. The location of the injury is concerning.

You can also usually get topical stuff at a pet store, but until you knows whats the cause it cant really 100% treat. It could be fungal it could be bacterial. Usually too much humidity would be involved. The raw honey is good to protect the wound, but try to find what's the cause.

Make sure you do a deep clean on the enclosure, I like to use white vinegar.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That does look quite painful. How is he doing?
I would highly recommend using some raw unpasteurized honey on the area right now, to help ward off
infection since it is raw skin. A vet visit would probably be a good idea so that they can take a look at it
& maybe do a skin culture to test & see whether or not it's fungal or something else.
Is he eating very well?

Tracie

Latest posts